Water / oil pressure gauge help?

chgovfk

15 Year Member
Apr 17, 2007
AZ
I saw what member Bynumj did with his rally pack set up - I've been wanting to do a oil pressure and water temp gauges to replace the idiot gauges from the dash-

Summit has some cheap mechanical ones - SUM-G2924 that I may put over by the passager side - I don't like the side A pillar location

For the oil is it simply 'tee' off the factory sender line - tube it to the new sender - wire it into the fuse box (anyone have a good fuse slot?)

For water - is there a coolant plug on the drivers side of the engine? - then you just find a fitting that fits w/teflon tape -?

- I tried to research this ...if anyone has any really good links I would appreicate it....I found a bunch for 04's and 5.0's - but I'm the type that needs 'apples to apples' 05,06,07,08....thx

• Sponsors (?)

For the oil pressure sender, you can use a T fitting and retain the stock sender.

For the Water Temp, there should be a threaded plug on the top of the thermostat housing(driver side top front). You can use adapter fittings and put the sender there.

There are 2 problems with using mechanical guages though. The biggest problem we ran into when putting guages in an '05 GT was getting the senders through the firewall and into the engine bay. The grommets for the existing wiring harnesses go through the firewall low and come out inside the fenderwells. Its hard to fish wires through there, and near impossible to get big sending units through. The other problem is that with a mechanical oil pressure guage, if you get a leak, you can get a BUNCH of oil everywhere before you know it. If the leak is inside the car it would really suck.

I know that the mechanical guages are much less expensive, but IMHO, if you can afford it, go with electrical guages......they will be much easier to install, and much more reliable.

Thanks for the info /response- I appreicate it - I think your right - electrical is the way to go - but man it's triple the cost -I like the speedhut gauges - although I like the stewart warner green as well - I'm cleaning out my garage -when it's done this is my nxt project......thanks again!!