ways to check fuel pressure

Mustangless

Jun 27, 2003
home
I am so angry about my car and I am willing to try just about anything. Now I am thinking about checking my fuel pressure. Is the only way to check it is to buy one of those guages? If so what is a good, cheaper one to get?

just for anyone who doesn't know

car is weak below 2k rpms, won't even spinout and it gets about 11mpg

• Sponsors (?)

One can use a diagnostic FP guage (my choice - I dont like permanent fuel gauges, esp when they are under the hood so I cant see them while driving).

It is a great tool to have - some parts stores loan them out and otherwise they are 15-40 bucks normally.

Hook it up to the Schrader valve and see what you got.

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
One can use a diagnostic FP guage (my choice - I dont like permanent fuel gauges, esp when they are under the hood so I cant see them while driving).

It is a great tool to have - some parts stores loan them out and otherwise they are 15-40 bucks normally.

Hook it up to the Schrader valve and see what you got.

Good luck.

I found this 30psi it won't work though will it? Doesn't it have to be atleast 50?

GreenMustangGt said:
use a cheap bike tire pressure gauge
You said that with your tongue somewhat (atleast) planted in your cheek, right?
I would not seriously want to test the system like that unless I was on the side of the road and had nothing else. Just me.

As Scott said, being able to read up to 50 PSI is whatcha need - even 40 might not be quite high enough.

BTW, those little gauges like in the link are normally for carbed cars - I have them around.
Good luck.

mo_dingo said:
Yeah, that is the route I went through summit. Just bought the gauge and the thread adapter and that was it. Piece of cake.
Scott

HA!! Piece of cake, I broke that stupid adapter off in the schrader valve. I had to replace the whole valve. I since bought an Autometer cowl mount gauge, so I wasted $40.

CManT1914 said:
HA!! Piece of cake, I broke that stupid adapter off in the schrader valve. I had to replace the whole valve. I since bought an Autometer cowl mount gauge, so I wasted $40.

What did you do, torque it to 1 million ft.lbs?????

Sorry you had a bad experience, but I was in and out within 5 minutes.....lol.
Scott

mo_dingo said:
What did you do, torque it to 1 million ft.lbs?????

Sorry you had a bad experience, but I was in and out within 5 minutes.....lol.
Scott

lol, yea I just tightened it too tight. The schrader valve stem broke off in the fitting. Luckily the actual valve was still okay, otherwise I woulda had a big ass fuel leak. :doh:

So the shrader valve is that black cap on the fuel rail right? To take it off you have to relieve the fuel pressure than just twist it off right? I'm thinking about doing the same thing as you mustangless. Every time you describe your problem it reminds me exactly of mine, when its having it. But it doesn't always have that problem. Tell me what you think about it.

Synned said:
So the shrader valve is that black cap on the fuel rail right? To take it off you have to relieve the fuel pressure than just twist it off right? I'm thinking about doing the same thing as you mustangless. Every time you describe your problem it reminds me exactly of mine, when its having it. But it doesn't always have that problem. Tell me what you think about it.

Did you see where I ran codes again and got 136
Whats really weird is only that one is indacting lean condition. Thats a new one, the old one did not do anything.

Mustangless said:
Did you see where I ran codes again and got 136
Whats really weird is only that one is indacting lean condition. Thats a new one, the old one did not do anything.

If you think one of your O2's might be bad, you can always switch it and see if the code moves to the other side.

Grady

Synned said:

Yes, the schrader valve has a hex "nut", if you will, at the bottom, and it unscrews from the fuel rails. That needs to come off so you can put that adapter on.
Scott