Weight difference between stock hood and cobra R

yellowstang1994

Sep 9, 2004
Just always wondered this... Probably different manufacturers flucuate in weight a little bit... but does anyone know the weight of a stock hood and ever weighed their cobra R hood or anything of the sort. Even if it isn't a cobra R hood and you know the weight of it post it up here. I'm very interested in seeing the results.

• Sponsors (?)

Well, here a while back, we had a post on the recall that Ford had on our cars dealing with the hoods. Supposedly, in an impact, the hood will split because of the way it is made. I guess the bottom layer is steel, and the top layer is f/g.

My f/g Cobra R hood is ALOT lighter than the stocker..... but nowhere near as light as the carbonfiber (stock style & color) hood that I had on my '95. The only way you could tell that thing was c/f was to look at the "weave" on the underside. Now I want a c/f Cobra R SVO hood.....

Swarzkopf said:
No, our stock hoods are not all fiberglass. I believe they are a combination of fiberglass and steel, as strange as that may sound. They are MUCH heavier than aftermarket fiberglass and CF hoods.

At first I was going to agree with you... and I started writing but then I started thinking... It's sort of like a door... the base is a lot thicker but it has a really thin shell that is still some form of steel but it's so thin that you'd think it's fiberglass. The rest is reinforced. Could be wrong but thats what it seems like to me... I guess 40lbs seems about right for a stock hood... thats around what a spare tire weighs. I had one off another GT at the shop out back but I never got around to weighing it, we ended up using it. Eventually i'll get them weighed, lol. I figured i'd save a lot more weight though in comparison... sucks..

Being that I actually carried both hoods over my head at one point or another, I will say with certainty that the Kaenan fiberglass Cobra R hood is _significantly_ lighter than the stock Cobra hood. The fiberglass on my stocker was cracked at the front from a flying object hitting it on the freeway, so insurance paid for it to be replaced.

Since the body shop did the work, and I only carried the 2 hoods in my truck, I dont have numbers unfortunately, but I would say at least 20lbs difference.

-Jason