Weird noise under moderate acceleration from a stop

Hey guys, first off, let me just say that I already know my TOB is shot, and it needs to be replaced. The only reason I say that, is because I think that may be what is producing this noise.

Anyways, when I moderately accelerate from a stop, I get this weird, deep squeeking noise as the transmission is engaging. Once I shift into 2nd, it's gone. It's weird too, it's almost like friction is producing the noise, because I can feel it in my foot on the clutch pedal and even my hand on the shifter. It kind of sounds like a really crappy violin. That's what it reminded me of. Anyways, If I accelerate very slowly, the noise doesn't pop up; same goes for a hard launch. It just happens during that medium acceleration, and occurs from either a dead stop or like a <5mph roll. I was actually at a very slow roll in 2nd, and when accelerating, the same thing happened. It's really bugging me. I have to take off like a grandma at every light to avoid it.

So, can anyone help me diagnose this? I'm pretty sure it's the TOB, but I could be wrong. Thanks for any help, guys.

Oh, and BTW - I took the car in to the shop to get an estimate on replacing the TOB, and they quoted me at around $600 for labor alone. This has been my trusted mechanic for the past few years, and does impeccable work, but holy ****!.

• Sponsors (?)

not really sure what ur problem is, could be the tob but im not positive. but yea changing it is pretty simple. especially if u have access to air tools, even if u dont two people can get it done in 6hrs easy.

its really pretty simple, u will be able to tell just by looking at it. get the car in the air as high as u can, pull ur mid pipe off, remove the driveshaft and cover then tail end of the tranny with something watertight cause its gonna leak fluid and u dont wanna make a mess. pull the shifter out, undo the wiring going to the tranny, take out all the bell housing bolts and unbolt the crossmember at the tail end of the tranny, slide the tranny backwards while supporting its weight with a floorjack, its really not that hard. the hardest part is the top two bell housing bolts, u will need a really really long extension, and u need to drop the back of the tranny down a bit to get in there too them. overall its a pretty simple job, just time consuming. ill be glad to answer any questions u have. i have pulled mine out several times.