Fox Weird Popping Noise When Turning

MustangGT559

Aug 26, 2015
Hello all, I have a 1990 GT. I have this weird popping noise when turning the wheel to its limits. This usually happens when I'm either turning to park or doing a slow U turn. Also the tires for the rear and front are bald from the inner side. It drives pretty good, it doesn't pull to one side. But if I leave it to run by itself it goes to the right side, slowly. Can this be a inner and outer tie rod? I read it could be the caster plates (something like that)

Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

I used to have a metallic popping noise coming from the front of my 91' when I would turn or during braking when I made the nose of the car dip down a bit. It turned out that the two bolt's on the bottom bracket of the front shocks were loose on both sides of the car. Those are the two bolts that are located behind the disc brakes. Make sure your camber plate bolts (the ones on top of the shock tower in your engine compartment) are tight. Those can also be a bit loose causing a metal on metal type of popping sound also.

Reactions: 1 user
My 2 cents, jack up one front wheel and move the wheel/tire back and forth like you were try'n to turn. Note any play in the tie rods and rack. With jack under control arm place a bar under tire and try to pickup the tire by pry'n up, next try to move the shock around at the top, look at your nuts that attache the shock to the shock tower, that is under the hood on top of the tower.
Now is the time to tell us that you have a aftermarket k member with a big block, blower and its only driven on sundays.:doh:
Just joke'n around, it's stock right?
There is also a bearing cup between the shock and shock tower, I don't think that will cause a noise like that but I'n no expert.

I used to have a metallic popping noise coming from the front of my 91' when I would turn or during braking when I made the nose of the car dip down a bit. It turned out that the two bolt's on the bottom bracket of the front shocks were loose on both sides of the car. Those are the two bolts that are located behind the disc brakes. Make sure your camber plate bolts (the ones on top of the shock tower in your engine compartment) are tight. Those can also be a bit loose causing a metal on metal type of popping sound also.
Thanks I'll take a look!

My 2 cents, jack up one front wheel and move the wheel/tire back and forth like you were try'n to turn. Note any play in the tie rods and rack. With jack under control arm place a bar under tire and try to pickup the tire by pry'n up, next try to move the shock around at the top, look at your nuts that attache the shock to the shock tower, that is under the hood on top of the tower.
Now is the time to tell us that you have a aftermarket k member with a big block, blower and its only driven on sundays.:doh:
Just joke'n around, it's stock right?
There is also a bearing cup between the shock and shock tower, I don't think that will cause a noise like that but I'n no expert.
Hmmmm I'll do that when I get home. Lol! Yes its bone stock

Sounds like a bad ball joint. Jack the car up on one side, by placing the jack under one of the front control arms (keep the suspension loaded). When you have the front wheel a few inches off the ground, slide a large pry bar under the front tire and lift up and down on it to see if it clunks, or if you can detect movement in the ball joint.