Weird traction control issue.

LaserSVT

Got FB banned again for saying nards
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Was wondering if anybody has seen something like this. It may be an issue in the tune and if so I am sure the capebal people from Sniper will figure it out but if its not the tuner I was wondering if anybody else has had this happen.
If I am doing 50-80mph and in a lazy corner just holding the same speed and if I am in 5th or 6th gear the traction controll kicks in. I thought it was just the light coming on but today I watched the A/F gauge while doing it and it goes lean when it kicks on. If I shift to 4th or lower there is no problem. IDK if it will do it at a higher speeds in a corner but it wont do it in a straight line. Its the damndest thing. It didnt do it with the stock tune but with the Sniper it is doing it. I dont know if its a trigger in a wrong spot or what, think you can help with that?
It is not spinning its tires and the rear does not feel like it is slipping eaither. Just a very unusual thing. :scratch:

• Sponsors (?)

funky wheel speed sensor? could dad have damaged the ABS module in the accident?.
my gt had a problem like that when i got it, it was either a. the test plug wasn't plugged in all the way or b. needed brake fluid
don't know which it was cause i fixed both problems :shrug:

This is not a normal traction control behavior. As "tag4car" above said, check your wheel speed sensors and ABS equipment.

FYI, the reason the AFR reads lean when traction control engages is because the traction control pulls so much timing it causes incomplete combustion, and even sometimes misfires. This means less oxygen was burned in the combustion chamber, and therefore more oxygen in the exhaust stream.

Nothing in the tune has anything to do with the traction control kicking in other than turning it on or off .....if it does it with the Sniper tune then it has to do it with the stock tune unless the tune is making the tires actually physically spin then there should be no difference , and if the tires are spinning then its going to come on ...

As stated before, the tires are not spinning. I will be getting the car up tomorrow on my day off and physically inspect the speed sensors and make sure the wires were not dammaged as well. I would have to remove the MAF meter to put the stock tune on so eaither one is as much of a PITA as the other so I will try and figure it out. :nice:

Tag4car is correct, the traction control system in our cars pulls both timing and fuel. Specifically, it will intermittently shut off up to 4 injectors to keep power output reasonable, but it should still be safe because those cylinders aren't undergoing combustion of any sort. Even though the O2 sensor shows a lean condition, those individual cylinders are not running lean.

Just turn the blasted thing off. Mines completely off in the tune....I dont miss it one bit. My GT was the same way. Its actually a bit dangerous...pulling fuel @ WOT is NOT a good thing...fortunatly it pulls timing as well. BUT remember this system is set to be used with the stock pulley, and timing setup. So it pulls enough timing to be safe in that combo...now when the tuner leans the car out and adds timing....the TC now has timing up higher when its throttling, and has the A/F even leaner than stock would be and that coupled with more boost.....
Well lets just say that its entirely possible with your luck that something involving a big BOOM may happen....I would yank it.