Weird wiring problem with turn signal indicators (dashboard)

Edbert

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
Austin TX
Many of you know how severely I've modified my car, at least electrically, there's literally no original wiring left, even things like backup lights and turn-signal housings have been replaced. While these new bulbs and housings are OEM style (for example the turn signals in the front valance have three wires exactly like original) the plugs on the ends of them were cut off and replaced or hard wired into the "Painless Performance" harness. Similarly the instrument panel was modified, all OEM gauges are gone with Autometer units in their place, but in the case of this bug my turn signal indicators on the dashboard are still using a single lead from the '60s.

I wrote a brief description of the symptoms on the blog...
https://wordpress.com/post/sylvia1967blog.wordpress.com/1476

In case anyone doesn't want to read the blog or give me hits ( :-( ) here's a copy-paste of what I wrote there...
The problem I am having is on the dashboard; there are two independent one-wire lamps for turn indicators, these indicators perform perfectly in two of the three modes they can operate under. All three modes are functioning with regard to external indicators (front and rear turn and running modes), but the internal dashboard indicators fail if the headlight switch is in driving-light mode, pulled halfway out. In driving-light mode my turn signal indicators (again only on the dashboard) are both lit solid, when I use the turn signal the correct indicator blinks, but the other one remains solid. This does not happen with headlights on, nor does it happen when the headlight switch is fully off.

I can provide any more details if needed here. Was hoping someone smarter than me could have an "oh I see" moment and solve this puzzle for me.

• Sponsors (?)

That is weird. I had 3 issues with my painless kit where they miswired a few plugs and one of them was the turn signal plug. I also was giving the wrong booklet for my car which had a my wiper switch terminals with two wires connecting on the wrong position. Almost caused me to buy a new wiper motor cause it wouldn't work at all. I downloaded the corrected booklet and finally found the problems. My headlight dimmer switch was also wired wrong in the booklet.

So my first suggestion is to check the wiring connections on your headlight switch and also on your blinker connection.

Bad/loose grounds can also cause weird issues like this so check all your grounds in those systems.

sounds like something is grounding threw the indicators. When you pull your headlight switch to the first notch that is suppose to be parking lights, what is coming on? Just your daytime LED's ? Or are other lights also lit?

Sounds like you have the parking lights tied to the directional lights. The directionals wire through the steering column switch, NOT to the push-pull switch. On my 65 I pulled every wire out and rewired everything, so I have been where you are. Mine would not blink every time until I cleaned every socket...you know, those 1157 type. Good luck.