Welding A Gurus, Please Step Inside

Vettn71

Advanced Member
Jan 3, 2014
Bought a 90A HF flux core MIG welder. Found it mostly burnt up sheet metal. It is probably okay for welding thicker metal, but 18 or 22GA, nope.

So, I just bought an Eastwood 135 MIG welder. Heard a lot of good feedback about them. Now I have something that can use gas to cool the weld, but I need a gas bottle. Eastwood recommends 75% Argon and 25% carbon dioxide, I think. Anyways, HF has carbon dioxide bottles for $100. My question, for now, is can I use that bottle for the shielding gas or do I need something else?

TIA

Jim

• Sponsors (?)

They'll work, but not last long. Find a local gas company that sells to body shops and the like and get a larger canister.

The gas just shields the weld area from the oxygen. I'm not a fan of flux core welders at all. Too much of a mess.

Flux core burns HOT.. and the HF shielded wire is not great. I've welded mild steel a dozen times with one-but its ugly lol.. Nice buy on the Eastwood, is it a 110v unit?
Like Dave said,a gas supply house would be best, bite the bullet and get a medium sized bottle-it will last you a long time as long as your regulator is set and you remember to turn it off :)

Reactions: 1 users
Don't use straight 100% co2. For that machine you need the 75/25 mix gas. You can pick it up at any welding supply store.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the replies. I'll have to check about where to get a bottle. The Eastwood welder is 110 V. I think it will do what I need. I'm not getting into building roll cages and the like. I was tired of burning up my sheet metal :0)

Jim

I actually like my HF flux core welder. It does run hot and it's definitely not as pretty but for quick jobs it's small and mobile. Works great.

I want a TIG welder still...especially now that @hoopty5.0 has had good luck out of his

There's always more than one way to skin a cat.

lotos, longevity, and even eastwood are all very similar Chinese machines. i have had my combo 220v longevity tig/plasma cutter since 08, and now my 220v lotos mig/spool gun combo since last year. The tig wont weld aluminum, but the spool gun welds thick (1/8" or more) decently enough, so im not missing the fact that my tig doesnt accommodate it.

as for how they work, and if im satisfied, they both exceed my expectations and have never given me any grief

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user