what all do I need for this welder to convert to mig? and other welding questions

wicked93gs

15 Year Member
Sep 30, 2006
Nashville TN
ok, I bought a campbell-hausfield RBWG202000 welder....not exactly the biggest baddest welder out there, but it was within my budget and I have always had good luck with campbell-hausfield tools...anyway it didnt come with a gas tank...I need to know what all I need to make it a true mig welder setup...other than the tank...what type of lines to carry the gas...do I need to find a pressure regulator? etc, I dont know just yet what all the welder came with since its being shipped to me now, whatever it includes from the factory I guess...I'll be using this to install my mustang II front end and have been reading up mig wire vs. flux core wire and was wondering which would make for the stronger weld without punching holes through my frame rails...I'll most likely be welding outside but will set up wind screens(or build a mini-shelter around the car) suggestions on hood type, reccomended darkness of the glass and even gloves are appreciated, sorry for all my welding questions lately, just trying to cover all my bases...I have a planned install date of next weekend

• Sponsors (?)

If you are going to try to weld in a mustang II front end and have no experience welding I highly recommend you practicing welding on some scrap metal for a while. You dont want to have a bunch of cold welds that are going to break loose the first time you take your car around a corner. I too agree that it would have probably been cheaper and a lot easier to buy a welder that is set up already. You dont need to worry about wind shields unless it is really windy out side and you will know if you are not getting any shielding gas as your weld will have porosity. For a hood you can just get a cheap auto darkening from Harbor Freight I think they are around 50 bucks and they work fine for around the garage.

no, I'm not new to welding, but all my previous experience is with stick welding and I didnt have to worry about gas cylinders, lines, and regulators....anyway,my welder came in today and actually comes with everything but the cylinder(which is on its way), welding wire(on the way) and gloves(I can get those down at the local TSC) regardless, before doing any real welding I will of course practice and test the welds on whatever scrap metal I can find laying around, btw this machine uses either type of wire...I chose not to go with the flux core, but to try my hand at mig welding(I may also try some aluminum fabrication now that I have this thing...I have a spare intake manifold for a neon engine I may attempt to cut up and make a box manifold out of)