Welding in Oxygen Sensor Bung: Collector or Pipes

monk302

Founding Member
Apr 18, 2001
New Jersey
Hey everyone,

For those who have swapped over to EFI, where did you weld in your oxygen sensor bung? Is it better to put in the collectors or the pipes? In the manual that I received from Ford Fuel Injection it said it should be 3" from the collector?

Thanks,

Mike

• Sponsors (?)

Mine are in the collectors. It's better in general, I think, to have them close to the engine rather than far from it. Then again, I don't think it matters a lot. I can tell you they work fine in the collectors...

Red5oh said:
You want them where all the pipes join together... not in one individual pipe. You get a better reading from the bank that way.

Not sure what you are saying, I think you are referring to the collector right, where the fire pipes join together. My question was whether it is better to have the bung welded into the the collector or to the 2.5" exhaust pipe after the collector.

As close to the head as possible while getting a reading from all 4 pipes. If you weld it too far forward in the collector, you may be picking up mostly on the one pipe the exits into the collector right before it. Mount it in the collector but as far back in the collector as you can.

res_DSC05618.JPG

more here:http://www.fordmustang.co.uk/index.php?folder=/022-Pictures/EFI/pictures/

what FordMuscle say, weld it in the collector or in the
pipe behind the collector. But weld the bung on the side or the top of the pipe not on the bottom!
The best position is between 10:00 and 02:00 position.

Markus