Fox Well, Engine Went Kaboom. Best Deal On Shortblock?

gruvee87vertgt

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 7, 2003
Chicago, Il
Looks like crank is destroyed after some spirited driving ;)

Will post some carnage pics shortly....

Who has the best deal on a short block?
It's a 87 speed density, stock internals with bolt one.

LMR has one for $1400.00
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-6009E/79-95-Economy-50L-Mustang-Short-Block

Im on a shoe string budget. I'm considering just getting a long block from the wrecker for $500 But don't really want something that used with unknown issues.

• Sponsors (?)

Call your local machine shops. A lot of times they have complete engines people never finished paying for. I've gotten a bunch of deals that way.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks everyone for the suggestions...

I will do all that was mentioned

What do y'all think about that short block from LMR?

A friend of mine installed one in his car. He's had no issue with it and it looked to be quality.

I would much rather go with the LMR short block than a junk yard motor. I mean think about it. As far as I know the 2001 Explorer was the last vehicle Ford put the 302 in. So at best it would be 16 years old with who knows how many miles on it and probably ran to death with no maintenance. Not really a chance I would like to take.

Reactions: 1 user
A friend of mine installed one in his car. He's had no issue with it and it looked to be quality.

I would much rather go with the LMR short block than a junk yard motor. I mean think about it. As far as I know the 2001 Explorer was the last vehicle Ford put the 302 in. So at best it would be 16 years old with who knows how many miles on it and probably ran to death with no maintenance. Not really a chance I would like to take.

I think this is going to become reality. Not impossible, but the throw an explorer engine in response that has worked well for the last 10+ years is probably on it's last leg.

Joe

Factory Rebuilt, just go to Advance, Autozone, or O-Reilly's...whatever. There are only about 3 companies that mass remanufacturer these engines; it's Recon, Surfire and a few others. Odds are LMR is selling the same short block with a $400 markup because they are LMR. :poo:, just tell them you need a longblock for an Explorer, and swap the cam. In fact, I just looked it up, O'Reilly's sells a reman Explorer longblock for $1682 with core exchange. Between paying LMR $1400 for a shortblock, and paying O'Reilly's $1682 for an Explorer longblock, that's a no brainer.

Kurt

Reactions: 2 users
I don't worry much about explorer engines.
Based on the shift patterns they weren't run nearly as hard as mustang engines. Hell, they shift at like 4500rpm. Not sure I've ever seen someone get a bad one.
Since you are speed density, if you want to cam it, you are going to have to find the 15 year old list on the internet of speed density friendly cams.

Remember too, it's nearly impossible to hold someone accountable for an online engine warranty.
Between shipping and determining who's at fault it's a hard road.

I think if you really prefer a rebuild, talk to some of your local guys. Maybe they will rebuild the whole thing for you if you pull it out. At least if it goes wrong you can hold someone accountable in person.

I don't worry much about explorer engines.
Based on the shift patterns they weren't run nearly as hard as mustang engines. Hell, they shift at like 4500rpm. Not sure I've ever seen someone get a bad one.
Since you are speed density, if you want to cam it, you are going to have to find the 15 year old list on the internet of speed density friendly cams.

Remember too, it's nearly impossible to hold someone accountable for an online engine warranty.
Between shipping and determining who's at fault it's a hard road.

I think if you really prefer a rebuild, talk to some of your local guys. Maybe they will rebuild the whole thing for you if you pull it out. At least if it goes wrong you can hold someone accountable in person.

Respectfully, I think it's those 60,000 miles between oil changes that ruins consumer grade cars, not the RPMs. A local rebuild will cost double what a factory rebuild will cost. Personally I spend the money on local business every time I can, but it doesn't mean it's the best value.

There is no doubt that a parts store engine is not top of the line. They don't weigh pistons and torque plate hone the cylinders. In the real world, I doubt it would make much difference though.

No doubt about the online warranty. I had a friend take DSS to court over their dust infested garbage. There is nothing like dropping your engine in front of the glass doors and saying "This :poo: is broke!"

Kurt

Reactions: 1 users
Factory Rebuilt, just go to Advance, Autozone, or O-Reilly's...whatever. There are only about 3 companies that mass remanufacturer these engines; it's Recon, Surfire and a few others.

Recon went out of business awhile back. Crying shame too, the Recon "Tough One" longblock I put in my '87 GT was beat on mercilessly from the time I changed out the break-in oil until I sold it, and is still running to this day (I keep tabs on that car, not hard, it keeps getting sold to a friend or a friend of a friend). That engine went into the car in 2003.