Need advice on choosing a short block

Hello fine people. I've reading the threads for a few hours now and i still can't decide whether to buy a short block or bore out mine and get new internals.

my goal is to have a reliable street machine no track or drag. i would be more than happy if I could come close to the 340HP 306 crate motor FRPP has for sale that's my benchmark.

here is what was already on the car when i bought it and i don't see a reason not to reuse these parts.

-Edelbrock Performer heads part no. 6037
-EDELBROCK/BBK 70MM EGR SPACER
-Edelbrock Performer RPM upper and lower intake
-bbk shorty heads

my local engine shop is charging me $800 for the swap and my budget is 3k total.
I'm getting a E303 cam and Speed Pro Hyperuetectic Pistons.

here is what I'm looking at so far

TREperformance.com - Ford 306 Short Blocks

or maybe this

1979-95 Mustang 5.0L 302 Economy Short Block with Forged Pistons, Accepts Roller Cam at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

any help is much appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Summit sales a budget rebuild kit for around $500 to $600 dollars. This includes gaskets, bearings, rings, pistons etc. Block work (boring, decking, etc) should be a few hundred more. Considering you already have the most exspensive components, I think $3000 is very reasonable and you should get close to your goal.

If you have the know how to do the rebuild, you can save some money. Otherwise, using a budget block from somewhere like latemodel is pretty affordable. Just remember you still need all your gaskets, oil pump, timing chain, etc. Just be sure to factor that in.

I saved about $500 when I assembled my own stroker shortblock compared to buying one that was put together. It depends on what your comfortable with.

Awesome, thanks I can't build it myself I live in an apartment. I don't want to pay shipping for the small block so I'm going to get the rebuild kit and bore out my block. My next question now is whether to go 306 331 I don't see a good reason to go 331 maybe you guys know something I don't . So now I just need to find a good rebuild kit. Thank you

Who is going to do your rebuild? Talk with them first, let them check out all your stock shortblock parts. I was in need of an overbore ($400 for forged pistons), plus my stock crank needed to be turned ($100). My rods were warped on the big end from running such large tolerances, so I needed new ones ($200), new rings and bearings ($200) and then rebalancing the entire rotating assembly ($200). So, I bought a 331 stroker kit on sale for a little over $1300, balanced. Even though I didn't have the heads to support it (Just ported GT40's), I knew the new rotating assembly would be stronger than stock and give me a good foundation to build on in the future. Just do your homework and add up all the costs...you may be suprised to find what your best option is.

I'm in the same boat you are in I'm looking around for a new engine also.
I have rebuilt engines before and sometimes something unexpected will
come up and you need extra machine work or parts and the budget flies
out the window. The price at TREproformance is really good on the short
blocks and you have a set of heads already. If you go with buying the
short block and use your heads you know what it's going to cost.
And you could have an engine as good as the ford crate motor they even
let you pick out what compression ratio you want and the price is good.
Might want to think about it--I called and talked to them about a motor for boosting they sound like they know what they are doing.-----Tough call

Personally if your looking at buying internals there is no reason not to go stroker....the price difference is very close.

If your looking at doing a quick rebuild (assuming your stock bores are in good shape) a basic rebuild kit will work, Ive used the Summit style kit for some customers with good results.

What do u want to do in the future with your car?

Rick
Owner/Operator RNH Performance
RNH Performance -Street and Race Engines, Custom Fabrication

Thanks guys. You made a good point Ranger Joe I’ll go talk the shop guys (Engine Rebuilding, Rebuilt Engines, Los Angeles Metro Area, Southern California - Coast Motor Supply Canoga Park in Canoga Park Ca.) some more and gat a better quote. Based on how much It comes out to I’ll go with them or TREproformance. I hadn’t even considered a stroker kit! I don’t know much about them and just thought they were for racing only. I’ll ask the shop guys about it. I’ll be finishing college in two years and plan on getting a Kenne Bell s/c as a graduation present to myself. But in the mean time I need a reliable rebuild.