Welp, One Of My Spark Plugs Hole Is Stripped.anybody Had A Similar Situation That Could Help?

metalmuskee

Dec 19, 2017
So the cylinder 6 on my 07 mustang gt had a misfire. Went to midas to have it checked out. Turns out, the only thing holding the spark plug is the coil. Was given two options: 1. try to fix hole with a helicoil (cost: $400/was told there is a 50% chance it will not work.) 2. go ahead and replace the head for $2500. Helocoil option is a gray area: many have fixed it doing so, but there are those who don't like it. What do you guys think? Any other options? perhaps suggestion on shops instead of midas?

• Sponsors(?)

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
polk county florida
Welcome to stangnet
I moved this to the tech threads to get some advice on your issue, that said, the shop I hang around has done this helicoil repair on several vehicles, mostly trucks, can't say I'd have midas do it if they have a 50% success rate.
Others may chime in with some advice.

metalmuskee

Dec 19, 2017
Welcome to stangnet
I moved this to the tech threads to get some advice on your issue, that said, the shop I hang around has done this helicoil repair on several vehicles, mostly trucks, can't say I'd have midas do it if they have a 50% success rate.
Others may chime in with some advice.
Thank you! maybe they just said there is a 50/50 chance just incase it didnt go well. Either way, maybe someone can suggest a shop in the north Dallas,Tx area.

Hoytster

I don't dare do that to my Knob
10 Year Member
Dec 30, 2002
Cornwall, PA
www.hoytspot.com
Thank you! maybe they just said there is a 50/50 chance just incase it didnt go well. Either way, maybe someone can suggest a shop in the north Dallas,Tx area.
I've done this repair on multiple 5.4 2-valve heads in the trucks, never had to do one on your cylinder head. But with that being said, ive never not successfully repaired one. I would suggest not using a heli-coil but using a "time-sert" repair insert. They are much more robust, rarely ever back out, are stronger, and tend to seal better. But ive also heard of people using heli-coils successfully. A good shop should be able to repair this.

Reactions: General karthief

Bullitt95

10 Year Member
Jun 13, 2007
Cyprus
www.angelfire.com
Went to midas to have it checked out. Turns out, the only thing holding the spark plug is the coil. Was given two options: 1. try to fix hole with a helicoil (cost: $400/was told there is a 50% chance it will not work.)
Only a 50% chance that a helicoil will work and they call themselves Midas, where everything they touch is supposed to turn into gold? ;)