Welp... Took off my Front Sway Bar!

dkshadow

Banned
May 12, 2003
TEXAS
Today I just decided to put my car in a lift and remove the FSB from my car. First impression when driving the car now was that when taking a turn, the car really leans to one side. Now when I floor it, it rises up a little, not by much but enough to tell that its making an effect in transferring weight. All in all, I like it. The car seems stable and cornering didnt change as much as I thought it would have! :nice:

Now all I want to know is where should I put the Sway bar at? :D

• Sponsors (?)

vvzer0incvv said:
If i decide to loosen my FSB will it still give better weight transfer without loseing the ride quality. ie I don't want the car to lean when i turn. Just a question.
I believe I read that just loosening it is enough to help with weight transfer. Sounds easy enough to do :) Can anyone say for sure?

I took mine off awhile back.. You get used to the handling quick, and actually there isn't much of a difference, slight but not drastic.....

Plus you lose probably 30-40lbs. and get much better weight transfer for traction....

Definitely a worthwhile freemod to the weekend warrior.

-Will

JonJon said:
I believe I read that just loosening it is enough to help with weight transfer. Sounds easy enough to do :) Can anyone say for sure?

I don't see how loosening it will help with weight transfer. You have not removed any weight from the front end, and the swaybar only exerts force during lateral weight transfer.

Loosening it will certainly limit its ability to do it intended job, however.

Aaron 4.6 said:
I don't see how loosening it will help with weight transfer. You have not removed any weight from the front end, and the swaybar only exerts force during lateral weight transfer.

Loosening it will certainly limit its ability to do it intended job, however.

The better weight transfer isn't from the reduced weight (okay, maybe a tiny bit is) it's from the swaybar not tying the front wheels together. One side of the car lifts more than the other on a launch, a swaybar will try and stop this.

MustangLife said:
You think the sway bar removed causes bad handling try some lakewood 90/10 struts. I did and worth every bit of it.

Josh
How does the car react in cornering? Im plan on getting the 90/10 Struts and I want to know how bad the ride will get. I use my car as a daily driver :)

On another note, Its been raining all day, with more expected this week maybe even snow/ice :eek:, and I was a bit worried in taking the car today. To tell you guys the truth, It actually feels the same as before I took out the sway bar. :nice:

GinoGT said:
The better weight transfer isn't from the reduced weight (okay, maybe a tiny bit is) it's from the swaybar not tying the front wheels together. One side of the car lifts more than the other on a launch, a swaybar will try and stop this.
uhm, have you ever looked at a swaybar before, you or Aaron 4.6????

i dont think you have, when you take a look at one, and figure out how they work, and where they connect, come back and talk...

its really funny how little people know about such simple things.

OK, just some guy. I'll bite. The front sway bar is a single piece of metal bent into a D-shape. Its tied to each of the front suspension halves (specifically, the A-arms) by vertical links and bushings that impart force to the bar-ends during times of vertical suspension travel. The bar resists motion only when the two ends are moving in opposite direction (as in during body roll in a corner, but not during nose dive under hard braking). The sway bar is essentially a torsion bar that reduces twisting. It is a critical piece of suspension tuning as it can be used to increase or decrease roll stiffness at the front of the car.

Now if you're done trying to be an internet badass- why don't you inject some tech into your posts and provide an answer! Your challenge was accepted.

Aaron 4.6 said:
OK, just some guy. I'll bite. The front sway bar is a single piece of metal bent into a D-shape. Its tied to each of the front suspension halves (specifically, the A-arms) by vertical links and bushings that impart force to the bar-ends during times of vertical suspension travel. The bar resists motion only when the two ends are moving in opposite direction (as in during body roll in a corner, but not during nose dive under hard braking). The sway bar is essentially a torsion bar that reduces twisting. It is a critical piece of suspension tuning as it can be used to increase or decrease roll stiffness at the front of the car.

Now if you're done trying to be an internet badass- why don't you inject some tech into your posts and provide an answer! Your challenge was accepted.
D Shape? I have had mine in my closet for a while, and I don't remember it looking anything like a D? You sure you are not talking about somthign else?

When I was messing with my front end I had the sway bar disconnected and tried to connect one side when both tires were off the ground I could not do it. I got the impression from this that the FSB does more than just tie the front control arms together, it also resists the front end rising...

just some guy said:
uhm, have you ever looked at a swaybar before, you or Aaron 4.6????

i dont think you have, when you take a look at one, and figure out how they work, and where they connect, come back and talk...

its really funny how little people know about such simple things.

Down Killer! Bad dog! Geez man, since you know so much about such simple things, how bout instead of trying to make someone feel stupid you grace us with your abundant knowledge of what it really is. :stick: ;)