Went to the track last night....POP!

hotmustang331

Apr 29, 2004
Bastrop,TX
Yep thats what I heard on my 3rd pass (2nd on 10PSI) :nonono: . I took off and went through 1st and then 2nd and AS SOON AS I jammed 3rd and pressed back down on the gas, all power immediatly left and the car fell on its face. Popping and sputtering and wanting to die....had to hold 3-4K just to keep it running. Pulled around to the pits and had my friends and dad check under the car....no oil :scratch: . Hmmm. Plug blew out maybe? Checked, bank 2 was SUPER rich (-20 STFTS) (wideband showed 10-11 A/F) and alot of dark grey smoke coming out. Bank 1 STFTS looked fine.
Odometer was showing all dashes so that really freeked me out :eek: Pull around and park and just let it die thinking we can just jump start it if needed and MAYBE I can limp her home. Crank over and to my suprise she fires right up...and then ofcourse dies with the same issues. :shrug: Pop the hood and everything looks fine...plugs are all in........and then I look at the center of the motor. Heh blew the intake pipe right off the throttle body....WOOT! Thank God LOL, that scared the crap out of me :rlaugh: . I thought she was dead. :(

Couldnt get my clamp to ever seat right again and im pretty sure I have a boost leak, but it didnt blow off anymore....even on my two 12PSI runs.

Anyways it ran a 12.02 @ 125MPH for a best that night....with a crappy 2.01 60'. All I did was throw on my 15s with the 275 nitto DRs....helped a little vs last time, but I still couldnt come out very good. I really need some good tires!

Here is the vid of my best run http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9GmNzu5Npo

Also got to drive my friends 06 6.0 GTO down the track :drool: MAN thats a nice car! Put my car to shame in interior quality and how it drove. It was an auto with a tune, kooks LTs, Kooks catted mid pipe, and spintech catback. Shifted HARD and sounded amazing...first time ever in a GTO and I ran a 13.48 @ 105. His best was a 13.3 @ 107 later that night. My other friend with an 05 6.0 M6 GTO with some exhaust work, tune, CAI, and maybe a few other odds/ends ran a best of 13.3 @ 107 or so as well. First time ever for the 06 and first time in teh GTo for the guy in the 05.
And I drove my dads 01 L to a new best of 14.09 @ 97. Picked up 6 tenths from last time. :shrug: Earlier that day ran a 14.48 @ 95 with the truck pretty cool. Then ran the 14.09 after removing the K&N filter and letting it cool down for a few hours. K&Ns suck I guess :rlaugh:

• Sponsors (?)

Well thats good.. man i really didnt wanna read that you blew the motor up after all this work you have done.

Also thats really cool that your friend let you drive his goat down the track. I know that i dont think i would EVER let someone drive my stang on the track, let alone around the block lol.. Iam sure that iam not the only one... :nice:

Nice times by the way!!!!

i blew a intercooler pipe like that last year. mine seperated under the car where i couldnt see it. i had already called a tow truck by the time i figured it out 2-3 hours later. after putting the pipe back on it ran fine.

mine would make one big puff of black smoke and die. now that i have a blow thru maf i dont have to worry about that anymore

Good lord you scared me! What were you doing with the AC/heater during the burn out?

:rlaugh: I was wondering if anyone would ask about that!

Well I had let my friend with the M6 GTO borrow my helmet for a nice dual between the goats and let my car set for about 10-15 minutes. By that point the car was around 175*s and there was virtually zero wait time to run. So I pulled in with the heater blasting, with my vents pointed toward my partially lowered window. When I got to the burnout I rolled teh window up and switched it to floor and low fan. Then turned it to high fan durring the burnout and shut it off after. All in an effort to help keep my collant temps down LOL....I actually only started at around 188* coolant temps I think....lowest of the night haha because I basically hot lapped on most other passes. My previous 12PSI run was hotlapped and went a 12.11 @ 125 with it breaking loose all through 2nd.

nope I only took a vid of my very last run....and fortunatly it turned out to be my best :D

thanks everyone...figured the title would give you all a scare! :D Actually im tempted to actually start building a motor for this thing....a buddy of mine is going to give me a set of PI heads (although im going to pay him something) and ill be sending them off for a stg 3 port. That "pop" really showed me how easily you can blow a motor....then this bad boy would have been down for months...I need to be prepared atleast somewhat.

You know, everyone always hates on the GTOs, and im guilty of a little bashing on the 04s....but holy cow, I seriously wanted to go pick an 06 up after driveing that car. I could DEFINATLY daily drive that thing....my stang would set all week except for weekends. It was that nice. I would get an auto as well and get a tune. Seats were amazing, dash gauges were amazing, part throttle torque was amazing, and the sound was amazing (made my stang sound like crap :( ).

LOL I didnt want to get out of it....and I usually dont like overly nice cars haha. Like the 05 Gt I test drove....it wasnt nearly as nice as the GTO, but at the same time alot nicer than my 04....yet I just didnt like it. Maybe im getting older or something LOL.

You know, everyone always hates on the GTOs, and im guilty of a little bashing on the 04s....but holy cow, I seriously wanted to go pick an 06 up after driveing that car. I could DEFINATLY daily drive that thing....my stang would set all week except for weekends. It was that nice. I would get an auto as well and get a tune. Seats were amazing, dash gauges were amazing, part throttle torque was amazing, and the sound was amazing (made my stang sound like crap :( ).

LOL I didnt want to get out of it....and I usually dont like overly nice cars haha. Like the 05 Gt I test drove....it wasnt nearly as nice as the GTO, but at the same time alot nicer than my 04....yet I just didnt like it. Maybe im getting older or something LOL.

GTO's are silly looking, but really really nice cars inside - my buddy has a 600hp cam/spray LS1 goat. Before the cam, just a 150 shot he ran 12.1@120 rofl.... and it's an auto on 255 street tires. Another guy I know has a head/cam/intake/stall goat that runs 11.30's and he has plans to spray it later :flag:

Them air to air pipes will scare the hell out of ya. I work on big 18 wheeler trucks and we have a dyno at work and we run the truck up and put loads on them and if there is a air pipe clamp not tight or weak under a good load and full boost it will bust the clamp and scare the hell out of ya. especially when your pushing 40psi of boost. But I'm sure it's scary when it is your car and going down the track.

im tempted to actually start building a motor for this thing....a buddy of mine is going to give me a set of PI heads (although im going to pay him something) and ill be sending them off for a stg 3 port. That "pop" really showed me how easily you can blow a motor....then this bad boy would have been down for months...I need to be prepared atleast somewhat.

Your friend can give me some parts too:flag:

LOL I feel bad not to, but I really cant :( . The only reason hes giving them to me is so I can send them out to get ported. He wants to see this motor make some SERIOUS power and knows it has alot of potential with these 61s.
He Actually wanted me to put them on this motor but i had a good excuss....if this stock motor goes it will take the heads with it LOL.

I was actually supposed to pick the heads up today, but im not sure if I can make it.

if it makes you feel any better D98GT, one of the heads need valves and a valve job and they dont come with cams (he put them in his now sold 97 GT) . :shrug: