What cam for my N/A 331??

4bangerstang

Nov 25, 2000
Perry, OH
Well I put together a 331 a couple years ago and dropped in into my 94 GT. It runs pretty good, but I know there is more to be had since I'm using a F-303 cam :)( yeah I know), but it does sound great!! Now, I have the timing cover off again to fix a leak. I had put a FRPP pre-94 timing cover and waterpump on the car, but I had the wrong timing cover and developed a leak. So now, since I have it all apart again. I'm tossing up the idea of dropping a new cam in there. I've been looking at the TFS cams, Anderson Ford Motorsport, and the possibility of a custom grind. Now, ideally I would love to make more power but still maintain the nice sound of the F cam (if possible), with more power being more important. All of this of course is with the stock T4MO EEC, now I have a TwEECer R/T but I've yet to master the steep learning curve, so it's still sitting in a box somewhere.

This is what I have right now... all out of the box, no porting.

Scat 9000 Cast 3.25" Stroker Crank (331 ci)
Scat Forged I-beam Rods
Probe SRS Forged Flattop Pistons
Professional Products PowerForce+Plus SFI Damper
Ram Billet Steel SFI 28oz. Flywheel
-Balanced by Hupertz Engineering (Painesville, OH)
DSS Racing Billet Aluminum Main Support Girdle
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads
Trick Flow Track Heat Intake
Trick Flow 3/8" Intake Spacer
Trick Flow 6.75" Chromemoly Pushrods
Summit 1.6 Ratio Roller Rockers
FRPP F-303 Cam

BBK cold air
BBK 65mm TB
Pro-M 75mm Mass Air
24# injectors

BBK full length headers
MAC O/R H-pipe
Flowmaster catback

I'm putting this out there, I may end up putting it back together as is for now. Then maybe put the cam in later. But I'm open to suggestions, so feel free to give me yours.

You got to love the sound of the F cam though...
YouTube - Mustang @ Idle

• Sponsors (?)

Three things come to mind right off the bat :)

1) Sound ... Any suitable cam is gonna have a lope to it ;)

2) Tune ... You are gonna have to put that Tweecer to work if you want
max power and stock like drivability :nice:

3) Cam Choice ... I sure have been happy with my FTI cam :Word:

Grady

Well I put together a 331 a couple years ago and dropped in into my 94 GT. It runs pretty good, but I know there is more to be had since I'm using a F-303 cam :)( yeah I know), but it does sound great!! Now, I have the timing cover off again to fix a leak. I had put a FRPP pre-94 timing cover and waterpump on the car, but I had the wrong timing cover and developed a leak. So now, since I have it all apart again. I'm tossing up the idea of dropping a new cam in there. I've been looking at the TFS cams, Anderson Ford Motorsport, and the possibility of a custom grind. Now, ideally I would love to make more power but still maintain the nice sound of the F cam (if possible), with more power being more important. All of this of course is with the stock T4MO EEC, now I have a TwEECer R/T but I've yet to master the steep learning curve, so it's still sitting in a box somewhere.

This is what I have right now... all out of the box, no porting.

Scat 9000 Cast 3.25" Stroker Crank (331 ci)
Scat Forged I-beam Rods
Probe SRS Forged Flattop Pistons
Professional Products PowerForce+Plus SFI Damper
Ram Billet Steel SFI 28oz. Flywheel
-Balanced by Hupertz Engineering (Painesville, OH)
DSS Racing Billet Aluminum Main Support Girdle
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads
Trick Flow Track Heat Intake
Trick Flow 3/8" Intake Spacer
Trick Flow 6.75" Chromemoly Pushrods
Summit 1.6 Ratio Roller Rockers
FRPP F-303 Cam

BBK cold air
BBK 65mm TB
Pro-M 75mm Mass Air
24# injectors

BBK full length headers
MAC O/R H-pipe
Flowmaster catback

I'm putting this out there, I may end up putting it back together as is for now. Then maybe put the cam in later. But I'm open to suggestions, so feel free to give me yours.

You got to love the sound of the F cam though...
YouTube - Mustang @ Idle
How do you know you have or haven't got the most out of this motor and how do you know it's the cam that's holding it back?:shrug:

How do you know you have or haven't got the most out of this motor and how do you know it's the cam that's holding it back?:shrug:

Well I don't know if it's ONLY the cam, and I've yet to put it on the dyno, or even get a wide band on it. But I can say that I know there are better choices out there. The FRPP letter cams were designed in the mid 80's before the split duration/lift cams were ever around. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure an out of the box AFM, TFS, Lunati, or Crane cam is going to do better than the cam I have now. If there are any "other" parts that you see that may seem a little off, just shout them out. I know the 65mm throttle body may be a little on the small side. I have plans on upgrading to a bigger throttle body, AFM powerpipe, bigger MAF and bigger injectors, but I need to figure out what I "need". Someone on another board mentioned that I should ditch my TFS track heat for a TFS-R, but I don't know about that.

I agree with others above :nice:

Other than just saying the alphabet cams are old technology which
is true ... let me offer a bit more info as to the ... WHY ... a lot of
peeps are down on the alphabet cams :notnice:

Just think about all those old OEM Iron heads and the one thing they
all had in common

The e ports were really sucky :Word:

Cam manufacturers knew that fact and cut their cam profiles to crutch
up the poor e ports

Now ... Fast forward to the times when Head Manufactrures such as
the big three of AFR, TFS, and Edelbrock started offering heads that
had no such short commings of the older iron heads

See how the need for a different cam profile came about :)

As always ... application dictates a need ;)
therefore
If one was doing a combo based upon OEM heads ........

Maybe a letter cam would be more suitable :shrug:

Grady