What can cause hot spots on the pressure plate for a KC clutch?

DLo

Mar 31, 2005
I had a King Cobra clutch installed early this February and a month ago the throw out bearing started chattering. I had it pulled apart to replace the TOB, but I checked the pressure plate and it had hot spots all over it. Since I had the entire thing apart, I went ahead and replaced everything. What can cause hot spots? I don't burn rubber that often. The clutch disk itself looked fine.

• Sponsors (?)

Excessive slipping of the clutch (holding the car in place instead of using the brakes, etc.), abusing it, and improper installation are the first things that come to mind.

Agreed. Given the hot spots and TOB issue, we'd wonder if the clutch adjustment was initially too tight.

Good luck.

I've got the ford aftermarket quadrant. I thought it was adjusted right, but apparently not. I didn't baby the clutch, but I wasn't thrashin on it all the time either. And generally if I'm not shifting, my foot isn't on the clutch - I've tried to become very self conscious of that. So I suppose it was either bad install or bad adjustment. Thanks for the input.

Would it be worth it to try and throw the clutch disk itself up on ebay? Kind of sucks that I have to throw it away.

Ruling out yourself being the problem (don't feel bad by my thinking it was a possibility... I've killed a TOB & clutch myself when I first learned to drive stick. Leaving your foot on the pedal is a nasty habit to break), I'd definitely point at the possibility of the quadrant being too tight. Have you noticed any binding in the cable at all when using the clutch? It may have been adjusted correctly, but not completely releasing pressure on the pressure plate, too. I wouldn't toss the disk on Ebay personally, but I'm sure someone may buy it. It's always risky to go with used clutch parts though.

StangGT1995 said:
Ruling out yourself being the problem (don't feel bad by my thinking it was a possibility... I've killed a TOB & clutch myself when I first learned to drive stick. Leaving your foot on the pedal is a nasty habit to break), I'd definitely point at the possibility of the quadrant being too tight. Have you noticed any binding in the cable at all when using the clutch? It may have been adjusted correctly, but not completely releasing pressure on the pressure plate, too. I wouldn't toss the disk on Ebay personally, but I'm sure someone may buy it. It's always risky to go with used clutch parts though.

Hhmmm... before I had a new clutch done, there seemed to be some sort of binding in the cable. Everytime you depressed the clutch, it would make a creaking sound. Now with the new clutch, it doesn't make any sound at all and it depresses silently and smoothly. Strange :shrug:

I won't throw up the clutch disk on ebay then. I'd rather save a fellow mustang owner the trouble.