What clutch should I get

sandiegostang

May 19, 2011
I have a 2000 GT with about 300hp or so and am in need of a new clutch. I have no idea about which brands are good and which are bad. I do not want to spend a lot of money on one either so could i get some brands that would be good? I have been looking at Ram, Spec, and just a OEM replacement from o'rileys (Sachs). Just need a clutch that can hold up and wont give me issues.

• Sponsors (?)

300hp..... Probably less than that. If you have a couple boltons than a stock clutch will provide the best driveability, will have the least issues, will not be loud, and will grip just fine. If I were you I would pick up the OEM clutch or at most the king cobra clutch.

A stage 1 clutch can handle more hp but as you keep upgrading the materials to handle more horsepower your clutch pedal will get stiffer and you start making sacrifices in different areas of driveability. I like my mach400 clutch but it is slightly stiffer and makes a little more noise than the stocker.

I have always recommended OEM clutches as well, but I recently went with a Ram HDX clutch. So far, I am enjoying it. Compared to my old OEM clutch with 90k miles, lots of 3500 rpm launches and multiple overheats, it feels great. Seriously though, the ram clutch grips hard and has a stock like pedal feel. I can scratch 3rd gear with 3.27s and not much power.

I have always recommended OEM clutches as well, but I recently went with a Ram HDX clutch. So far, I am enjoying it. Compared to my old OEM clutch with 90k miles, lots of 3500 rpm launches and multiple overheats, it feels great. Seriously though, the ram clutch grips hard and has a stock like pedal feel. I can scratch 3rd gear with 3.27s and not much power.

This is the one i was looking at. I saw it on american muscle and it is right in my price range. from the research i found spec seems to have problems but i havent found many issues with RAM. As far as pedal feel goes, i really couldnt care less how stiff it is because the pressure plate on my stang right now is all ****ed up and it is the most ridiculously stiff pedal in the world. think of the stiffest pedal you have ever felt then triple it. I plan on adding a supercharger and want the clutch to last so maybe i will go with this RAM HDX clutch. Anyone use this clutch? would love to hear input

A few things to keep in mind about this clutch: it is organic, so it is going to have very good street manners and be easy to drive, but will turn to butter on a HARD launch at the track. If you plan to race the clutch hard, talk with Winters and see what he recommends. I choose this clutch for the street-ability, stock like pedal and increased holding power. It should hold a simple 4.6 with a blower, but launching power is different from holding power.

A few things to keep in mind about this clutch: it is organic, so it is going to have very good street manners and be easy to drive, but will turn to butter on a HARD launch at the track. If you plan to race the clutch hard, talk with Winters and see what he recommends. I choose this clutch for the street-ability, stock like pedal and increased holding power. It should hold a simple 4.6 with a blower, but launching power is different from holding power.

Oh the car will never see the track and i have found that this is a great street clutch. I might add a supercharger soon so its nice to know it can hold up. Thanks for the info