what do i have to do to get the piston rod off the crank?? **pic**

filburn

May 2, 2005
So, im trying to take my pistons out. The engine is out and on a engine stand. The heads and oil pan are also off. Everything is was going smoothly untill I tried to take the piston's out. I took the Rod bolts out, but even with the bolts out the damn thing wont come off.

dfhg9qj.th.jpg

Ive tried everything short of beating the ***** out of it with a hammer. Anyone have a suggestion on how to get it off?

please help..

filburn

Attachments

• dfhg9qj.th.jpg
    dfhg9qj.th.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 49
  • Sponsors (?)

pistion removal

Depending on how many miles are on the engine will tell you wether you have to remove the crank or not.

As the engine runs and wears in a ring or lip is formed on the top of each cylinder. You can feel it with your finger. If this is present or deep then pushing the pistion out the top can be very difficult and will most likely destroy the ring coming out. Should you want to go that way then tap the rod cap off take a wooden handle hammer and place the butt or bottom of the hammers wood handle on the rod bottom. Smack the top of the hammer with another hammer and bang the piston out.

Your other option is to pull the crank out and using some wood or the hammer method drive them out the bottom of the engine. (This is the easiest way.)

HTH,
Dan...

Uh,if Im not mistaken thous look like H-beams.

Loosen both cap crews a few turns and tap them with a wooden hammer handle.

The rods have locator dowls in them,and this is why they dont just pull apart.

To get the piston/rod out tap the rod with the hammer handle the same way,just watch the crank.You dont want to hit that.And also make sure to no let the rod end drop onto the cylinder wall (I hold my hand on the rod end and push it through).