What do I need to install the second fuel pump?

hotmustang331

Apr 29, 2004
Bastrop,TX
I have a second Ford GT fuel pump that needs to go in this week. All I have right now is the second GT pump. I will modify my stock basket even more, so fitment shouldnt be a problem. The Y fiting will be made by my dad out of copper...I talked with him and he said he can do it.
So my main questions concern wiring and all that jazz.

Do I NEED to upgrade my wiring?
If so what size?
Where do I wire from?
Do I NEED to upgrade my fuse?
If so, how much and which fuse am I actually replacing?
Do I NEED a second "controller/driver" to control the fuel pump?
If so, please provide a link to where I can buy one and how its wired up.
ANYTHING else need to be done to make this setup work?

Thanks! I know a few of you have the dual GT pumps, and focus setups....so im sure you can help me out. :nice: Anything I need will be overnight shipped so i can have EVERYTHING done this week. Ill check back in a bit...time to go swap back in my 3.27 gears :D

• Sponsors (?)

you would really be better off buying a cobra hat assembly. you're really getting into a lot of modding that isnt really necessary. the whole assemble isnt morethan $300 i think

as far as the wiring goes, i have not upgraded my wiring yet and will not do so until i see a fuel problem. there is a guy with an 01 cobra with 608 rwhp running a 03 cobra tank with 2 GT pumps and no FPDM or wiring upgrade and he hasnt had any problems for over a year. i'm not saying it is the perfect setup but he hasnt had any trouble. i will be adding a stage 2 FPDM in the next couple of weeks to handle the 2 GT pumps in my car.

http://www.mafterburner.com/fpdm.htm

you can get your FPDM done thru zone 5.

Thanks Saleen!

Iv been doing ALOT (re ALOT) of reading over at modularfords. I still have 2 search pages open right now LOL. Im also ditching the copper pipe thing...I can get a cobra Y @ nappa for $2.
Also found that wiring upgrade isnt needed (like you said)....but everyone insistes the FPDM is a MUST. Cool that a few of you are running a stock FPDM :nice:
I its cheaper going through these guys http://www.lethalperformance.com/pa...04-gt-mach-1-cobra-stage-2-modified-fpdm.html $269 FYI.

I would need a cobra tank with the hat....since the pumps are out in the open, I bet I would have fuel starvation :( My GT basket is....carefully modified to not EVER drain the basket, and to also keep fuel in the basket durring launches. :D

So im going to order that PRICEY FPDM tonight, and pick up the SAE 30R10 rated gates fuel hose W/ several SS clamps and 3/8s Y tomorrow @ Napa.
I found out that if you delete the PPRV it can cause the corrugated hose to blow! The PPRV blows pressure @ 65PSI or so, and helps keep fuel presure when the car shuts off, but its a big flow restriction and that "blow off" is what causes my P0190 code to be thrown....dumps all the fuel pressure and trips safety limits. Causes hesitation durring shifts as well, due to that pressure blow off. So its coming off, along with that corrugated hose. :)

interesting..............is it that little check valve looking thing in the fuel line??

you havent found a kit to run a larger fuel line from the tank to the engine bay by any chance have you??

my engine is coming out of the car tomorrow night and now its really crunch time. i have all my engine parts going to the shop by this friday. after i pay for my 3K engine build (not including parts) i need to finish off my fuel system to make damn sure i dont run out of fuel.

Its a 100% DD :D My work week is 3on 3 off, 4on 4off. This week its 5 off (vacation) so thats why im doing all this stuff :)

Yep its the plastic white thing thats inbetween your fuel pump and the tank hat. HUGE restriction. Just pulling that out and upgrading my FPDM would probbaly solve my fuel issues....but meh with the 2nd pump im now good till 650RWHP atleast :D I dont think ill quite get there on the next dyno run, so i should be ok.

Nope havnt found a kit. But its easy as heck to do it yourself. My stock stuff will be staying for quite some time though. I know when the time comes I wont have a problem pulling over 1000RWHP out of a returnless system...with all that reading now I know how to do it :D

Going with a forged motor Saleen? :D

well the engine is out.

you wouldnt believe me if you didnt see it with your own eyes, but the guy taht pulled it for me brought the car into the shop at 6:00 and the engine and trans were on the ground at 6:58.:hail2:

have you got any links to some of those threads you were rading up on??

i'm considering the PPRV delete now. it looks fairly simple and shouldnt be more than about $40

how restrictive is that thing anyways?? are there any downsides to removing it?