What Do You Guys Think? 275/40/17's On The Front Of A 91lx?

I need to investigate what I have on my parts shelf. I know I was prepping to do a complete 4 wheel disk conversion (this was in 2010). The pedal felt so great and the car stopped so good after I installed the Bullitt calipers/13" rotors I left it alone. I am pretty sure I got a prop valve, I know I got the emergency brake cable adapter parts, and I already have SS braided brake lines installed. So hopefully no lines will ever pop.

• Sponsors (?)

Let's not lose sight of original problem. I think your issue is aging rubber possibly in combination with dropping outside temps.

On a related note, you could probably benefit from the adjustable prop valve. Ford plumbed the stock setup oddly with the drivers front receiving full pressure off the mc, and the pass side going through the combo valve. I believe the pass wheel does get full pressure, but I assume the reason ford did this was to lock the drivers wheel up slightly before the passenger wheel, causing car to want to pull right (and away from oncoming traffic). Eliminating, or gutting the prop valve will just help even out the pressures and allow you to dial up or down the rears.

Oh and with rear drums, the stock MC is still preferred, as you've found out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For tires, I switched from the wildly overpriced Michelin Pilots SS to the Cooper RS3-S on my coyote and I can't say enough good about them. They're literally half the cost, perform very well (as good or better than the MPSS), and look good too. If you're in the market for new rubber, I'd highly suggest looking into these.

Let's not lose sight of original problem. I think your issue is aging rubber possibly in combination with dropping outside temps.

Yes I still think this is the biggest problem.

For tires, I switched from the wildly overpriced Michelin Pilots SS to the Cooper RS3-S on my coyote and I can't say enough good about them. They're literally half the cost, perform very well (as good or better than the MPSS), and look good too. If you're in the market for new rubber, I'd highly suggest looking into these.

IDK man, I put Pilot Sports on my WRX and they are pretty much the best thing ever. I am looking at Micky Thompson Street Comps right now. I wanted to go real aggressive with R888's or something, however it is just starting to get cold here and it would make those tires pointless. I was doing more reading last night and apparently you can fit 245/45's on a 9" wheel. I can't imagine that looks right though, the 245/45's I have now are squared up pretty nice on the 8" rims I am running. I can't get my brain around the possibility that on a 9" rim they wouldn't look goofy.

Could always go 255/40/17 up front.

The 245/45/17 is 25.7" in diameter, while the 255/40/17 is 25" in diameter. So that smaller 3/4" of OD might prevent you from rubbing on the inner fenders due to the smaller diameter. I don't know this for fact, but one of the ideas I'm exploring as I plan to run 255/45/17's on the back, and have rub issues up front with 245's on the inner fender liners just near the outside edge.

You can't overcome crappy tires. They ultimately control max grip. That said ...

You've done half a brake upgrade. There's a pretty good chance you are doing almost all your braking with the front brakes. That doesn't give the rear brakes a chance to help with weight transfer. So, the fronts just lock up if you aren't careful to brake early and let the weight transfer happen before pushing harder on the brakes. On my Miata race car I put some bigger brakes from a newer car thinking I would get better performance. What wound up happening is that I was constantly locking the right front up at the end of long straights. What I needed was the proportioning valve from the newer car to deal with the bigger brakes correctly. New tires could make things better, but still just be hiding the problem by providing more grip. You will still be getting a lot less braking than you should be.

Finally, if you can figure out how to get 275s on the front, that would be bad ass no matter what it does for braking.

Could always go 255/40/17 up front.

The 245/45/17 is 25.7" in diameter, while the 255/40/17 is 25" in diameter. So that smaller 3/4" of OD might prevent you from rubbing on the inner fenders due to the smaller diameter. I don't know this for fact, but one of the ideas I'm exploring as I plan to run 255/45/17's on the back, and have rub issues up front with 245's on the inner fender liners just near the outside edge.

I can't remember, is your car a pre 91 with the smaller fender openings? Mine is a 91 and the only rub I get is the rim on the lower control arm in the front when I am close to full lock.

IDK man, I put Pilot Sports on my WRX and they are pretty much the best thing ever. I am looking at Micky Thompson Street Comps right now. I wanted to go real aggressive with R888's or something, however it is just starting to get cold here and it would make those tires pointless. I was doing more reading last night and apparently you can fit 245/45's on a 9" wheel. I can't imagine that looks right though, the 245/45's I have now are squared up pretty nice on the 8" rims I am running. I can't get my brain around the possibility that on a 9" rim they wouldn't look goofy.

I had 245s on an 18x9 on my first coupe, looked just fine. As far as the tires go, even if the difference in performance is negligible, the price difference is 50% for the same performance. I've got 11k miles on them now and they're still going strong. FWIW the car came with R888s and they wouldn't break loose but were a no-no in the rain. Next were the MPSS and now I have the RS3-S. Im stuck on the latter now, but if your fox is a toy and not a DD-type car, the R888s are the way to go. I may throw those on the fox once I need new ones because it's no longer needed for DD stuff.

I can't remember, is your car a pre 91 with the smaller fender openings? Mine is a 91 and the only rub I get is the rim on the lower control arm in the front when I am close to full lock.

Yup. '88. Only rub I get is on the bottom of the inner liner down by where the cowl drain tube is. My bullitts don't touch my control arms at all, but I should prob double check this.

I had 245s on an 18x9 on my first coupe, looked just fine. As far as the tires go, even if the difference in performance is negligible, the price difference is 50% for the same performance. I've got 11k miles on them now and they're still going strong. FWIW the car came with R888s and they wouldn't break loose but were a no-no in the rain. Next were the MPSS and now I have the RS3-S. Im stuck on the latter now, but if your fox is a toy and not a DD-type car, the R888s are the way to go. I may throw those on the fox once I need new ones because it's no longer needed for DD stuff.

Yeah I have Subaru's for foul weather duty. I keep the LX out of the rain. I only recently started driving it again because I was chasing a problem in it that was leaving me stranded at random.

Yup. '88. Only rub I get is on the bottom of the inner liner down by where the cowl drain tube is. My bullitts don't touch my control arms at all, but I should prob double check this.

I think 18's would probably solve my rub problem. Not really sure I want to step up to 18's though.

I have the Cooper RS3S in 245/45/17 on my coupe and they work pretty well. Straight line traction can be an issue though.

The Mickey Thompson Street Comp and the Cooper RS3S are more or less the same tire. Cooper owns Mickey Thompson. If you look at both the specs and pictures of both tires side by side, they are identical other than the letters on the sidewall. When I bought mine in 2014, the coopers were about $15-$20 dollars cheaper per tire through discount tire direct. That may be different now though.

Reactions: 1 users
I have the Cooper RS3S in 245/45/17 on my coupe and they work pretty well. Straight line traction can be an issue though.

The Mickey Thompson Street Comp and the Cooper RS3S are more or less the same tire. Cooper owns Mickey Thompson. If you look at both the specs and pictures of both tires side by side, they are identical other than the letters on the sidewall. When I bought mine in 2014, the coopers were about $15-$20 dollars cheaper per tire through discount tire direct. That may be different now though.

I was going to get them from American Muscle cause I get a discount and free shipping.

I had OEM 03/04 Cobra Wheels on my 91 for a few months. They are 17x9 and I had them with 275/40 tires on them. Tramlining was HORRIBLE. Even with a new manual rack, solid rack bushings, and a bump steer kit using heim joints (rod ends), and a MM Steering shaft.

No rubbing or fitment issues. But I did have a 5mm spacer on the front. This was on stock suspension. Looked good. But the car felt like a death trap 90% of the time ripping me towards curbs and cars in other lanes with any slight defect in the road.

Attachments

• 20160107_163718.jpg
    20160107_163718.jpg
    831.5 KB · Views: 134
Reactions: 1 user