Engine What do you think?

Maybe, lol.
Tuning these cars NA does little to nothing. The computer with the right meter and injectors will beat most if not all amateur tuners.
I've had a bunch of heads, intakes and cams. All ran just fine and made the power they were supposed to.
Some of those parts included a massive cam and extrude honed twisted wedges.
I used to watch my buddy put all these home built and tuned messes on the dyno, only to be beaten by simply returning the tuning to factory.

I disagree with that statement, but to each there own. Same boat, quite a few different NA combos and proper tuning ALWAYS made a difference on the dyno and especially drivability. But those are my experiences.

You didn't answer my question about the codes.
does not matter about how good those heads are he should 'feel' a difference. Something is amiss.

I agree, there is just something not quite right. He should feel a difference.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Maybe, lol.
Tuning these cars NA does little to nothing. The computer with the right meter and injectors will beat most if not all amateur tuners.
I've had a bunch of heads, intakes and cams. All ran just fine and made the power they were supposed to.
Some of those parts included a massive cam and extrude honed twisted wedges.
I used to watch my buddy put all these home built and tuned messes on the dyno, only to be beaten by simply returning the tuning to factory.

I happen to be lucky, I've had a friend that has been working in the mustang field since I was old enough to drive.
I've always gotten parts cheap, advice free and help for trade.

The X head can be good, but they are factory flawed, a valve job and bowl cleanup will net 15rwhp.
One guy I knew went 11.86 with a x head (valve jobbed, my buddy required all heads new or used to goto the machine shop, whether you liked it or not), retarded E cam and gt40 tubular. Made 316rwhp.

Sounds like the car I just bought. It's a 306 with gt40 tubular intake, gt40x heads, and e cam.

IMO, if you are looking 300-310 FWHP, you have the combo to support that. I agree with what @Wayne Waldrep said in that the whole combo is kind of a mix of parts but I have seen very comparable setups to yours making in the ~280 RWHP range. The GT40x heads are your limiting factor, they are an old design and are were easily outperformed by the old TW170's, let alone the new head options you have today. Not that they are bad, just don't expect top tier performance out of them.

Personally, I would stick with what you have and tune it properly. I like your intake, I had good success with the street heat setup on my 95 cobra before upgrading and the N41 cam is a good cam for a gt40 headed street combo. With the combo you have, you won't see the true gains until you tune it properly (adjust timing curve for your heads/combo, injector timing for the cam, MAF transfer, ect, ect). One question, the BBK 76MM MAF you installed, was this calibrated for the 24lb injectors?
Gotcha! Yes, it was calibrated for the 24lb injectors and the cold air intake.

Nintake.No codes at all and I havent done a cylinder balance. I assume that I need to do one. Can you explain what that will do and what the outcome should be?
This will show you.
Pull Codes EECIV - JRichker

Sure if you are looking for 300hp at the flywheel those parts should do that. My point is that the mix needs a tune in my opinion. I don't know how much you have in all that but a good Trick Flow top end kit would have matched up better and made significantly more power.
My info may be a bit dated though so let one of the guys chime in that currently tunes em and they can give you much better input.
Ummm...No on the B cam. The heads you have will limit you if you ever want to go for more power so I wouldn't invest and more money in them.
Ok, I understand that they arent the best heads on the market but, I didnt have the $2000 for the twisted wedge heads. I do appreciate the info and advice!

Sounds like the car I just bought. It's a 306 with gt40 tubular intake, gt40x heads, and e cam.

It was a common setup back in the day when there was only a few parts choices.
At one point I had all the same parts.
One of my favorites for a nice driving all ford parts build.
If I had a 93 cobra or a really low mileage car it's exactly what I would do to it even today.
Valve job and a port match for the lower intake to the heads and it's just as potent as any out of box Twisted wedge setup.

This will show you.
Pull Codes EECIV - JRichker
Ok, I got the codes to dump. 33, 21, 94, and 44. Then it repeated the codes again.