Engine What engine oil are you running in your foxbody?

The 3.0L Duramax Diesel in the Silverado 1/2 ton pickups call for 0-20w.
Sure, it is "formulated" for Diesel, but the idea of 0-20w in a Diesel is just weird.
I guess they are chasing that last 1/10 of a mpg.
Kind of like Toyota and their 0-16w.
I have a 2020 3.0 Duramax Chevy truck.... LOTS of research on my part wanting to go to a thicker oil but......
EVERYONE I have spoken to or what I have read says DO NOT......
Watched a specific youtube by Gale Banks saying ONLY use 0-20
GM specifies a DexosD which was ONLY found in 0-20 oils..
Amsoil has a 5-30 DexosD but after talking to them I am still using the 0-20... I am still under my 5 year warranty....
I have read where the bearing clearances are very tight, so its not just a mileage thing as near as I can tell, beside the 3.0 diesel has a variable pressure oil pump that varies in pressure as needed.. Some concerns using a thicker oil with a pump not designed for it...
LOVE the engine so far.. Coupled to the 10 speed automatic ( that acts like it was meant for this engine) NO complaints so far...
Checked my travel computer yesterday ( I need to fuel up) and it averaged 24.5 MPG and I have gone 560 miles since my last fill up... I usually take 20 gallons....
DSCF0803.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I'm no pro but I firmly believe that viscosity comes down to tolerances and ambient temperatures. Additive packages are formulated based on engine type (direct injection, diesel, etc...)

• PlusOne
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users
I have a 2020 3.0 Duramax Chevy truck.... LOTS of research on my part wanting to go to a thicker oil but......
EVERYONE I have spoken to or what I have read says DO NOT......
Watched a specific youtube by Gale Banks saying ONLY use 0-20
GM specifies a DexosD which was ONLY found in 0-20 oils..
Amsoil has a 5-30 DexosD but after talking to them I am still using the 0-20... I am still under my 5 year warranty....
I have read where the bearing clearances are very tight, so its not just a mileage thing as near as I can tell, beside the 3.0 diesel has a variable pressure oil pump that varies in pressure as needed.......
LOVE the engine so far.. Coupled to the 10 speed automatic ( that acts like it was meant for this engine) NO complaints so far...
Checked my travel computer yesterday ( I need to fuel up) and it averaged 24.5 MPG and I have gone 560 miles since my last fill up... I usually take 20 gallons....
DSCF0803.JPG
If I am not mistaken, the 3.0L Duramax has a 100K mile powertrain warranty

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 user