• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech

What Gears?

  • Thread starter Thread starter doobsstang
  • Start date Start date Nov 11, 2005

doobsstang

Member
Oct 4, 2005
92
1
6
Pembroke, NH
Nov 11, 2005
#1
  • Nov 11, 2005
  • #1
I know there are tons and tons of threads on what gears to use but I would like to get some more details about each setup and how you like the gears you picked. I am wanting either 3:73s or 4:10s. If you guys could tell me pros and cons of these it would be great and how you like these gears if you use them. Thanks.
 
9

90bronconate

New Member
Apr 24, 2005
124
0
0
Phoenix, AZ
Nov 11, 2005
#2
  • Nov 11, 2005
  • #2
i know you don't want to hear this...... but SEARCh. the info you want is there, multiple multiple times. just take the time to read them all
 

Grn92LX

Fidanza Man!
Founding Member
Jan 14, 2001
6,819
64
129
New York
Nov 11, 2005
#3
  • Nov 11, 2005
  • #3
4.10
 

Blackened302

Active Member
Jul 21, 2005
1,439
0
36
South TX
Nov 11, 2005
#4
  • Nov 11, 2005
  • #4
most agree on 3.73's for manual, and 4.10's for auto.

i'm...trying... not to... sssssay..it......sss....sssee...ssearch! hehe
 
C

ChrisA#5

New Member
Jan 10, 2004
60
0
0
Indianapolis
Nov 11, 2005
#5
  • Nov 11, 2005
  • #5
i have an aode as well, and i honestly didnt notice too much of a difference when i got my 3.73's (stock 3.27). but, i would not want my rpm's running any higher during highway driving which would happen w/ 4.10. but when i got my shift kit in too, it felt good. i would recommend 3.73's all in all for daily drving and possible future mods. i dont think i can give you a real opinion of how i like them b/c my car has been running bad since i got them so its not a fair evaluation. but everybody else loves them. good luck
 

94MustangGT5.0

New Member
Apr 30, 2003
288
0
0
Champaign, Illinois
Nov 11, 2005
#6
  • Nov 11, 2005
  • #6
Honestly, I got 4.10's for my AOD-E and wish I maybe would have gotten 4.30's. The car launches twice as hard with the 4.10's, but I still want more SOTP performance. This being said, I am now just going to add more HP to the engine with future plans for my car, which should give me the extra kick I want. And in case you are wondering, 4.10's are not going to make your car rev. out at 100 mph. A lot of people have said this, but it's not true. I know that it's not the best thing for your overdrive band, so I would not recommend doing this very often (or ever since I am telling you), but the car will shift from 3 to OD at around 110-115 mph, and I have taken my speedometer the rest of the way to 150 without running out of RPM's.
 

mo_dingo

20+ Year Stangneter
Aug 26, 2003
3,031
2
58
Tucson, AZ
Nov 11, 2005
#7
  • Nov 11, 2005
  • #7
Seriously, the 3.73 vs 4.10's has been covered thousands of times. Search please.
Scott
 

GRGT1994

New Member
Sep 22, 2004
1,034
0
0
Nov 11, 2005
#8
  • Nov 11, 2005
  • #8
The topic is well discussed, but the guy is new - so cut him some slack.

That said, I'm sure you will soon learn, if you haven't already, that this is one of those questions that comes up a little too often.

One of the reasons it comes up so often is that the choice between 3.73 and 4.10 is essentially subjective. There is little, with a big stress on the LITTLE, difference between the two. I think it's like a 15% difference between the two. Compare that to the 30%+ jump in gearing that you are making when you go from stock to 3.73, and you can see just how insignificant it is to split hairs between 3.73 and 4.10. Some uncurably anal Stangnetters even fret over whether to go with 3.90 ratio gears, because they "split the difference." This is nonesense, don't go there.

The other reason the topic comes up so much is that gears is, and should be, one of the first mods that anyone, ANYONE, considers on a 5.0 SN-95 Mustang. And so it makes sense that someone new to Stangnet will inevitable post the legendary "3.73 or 4.10?" thread. And that's why I stongly encourage the "seasoned" posters to refrain from knee jerking a "run a search" response.

OK, I've already written a book here, so time to power down my rant. But I hope you got my opinion loud and clear. That is, don't swet the choice between 3.73 and 4.10 gears. Just pick one (by the flip of the coin if you must) and GET THEM IN. Either way you will absolutely LOVE them. I might lean toward 3.73's, soley because there is so little difference, and that ratio will be more appropriate as the mod bug continues to bite you and you do further mods down the road (and don't kid yourself, you will be doing an HCI, blower or NOS sooner that you think!!!).

Good luck and enjoy. BTW welcome to Stangnet.
 
W

wytstang

Mustang Master
Mar 14, 2004
4,988
4
78
Summerville,SC missing South Fl. weather :(
Nov 11, 2005
#9
  • Nov 11, 2005
  • #9


 

Attachments

  • not_this_again.webp
    12.4 KB · Views: 72
  • bart2tv.gif
    25.5 KB · Views: 75

final5-0

Mustang Master
Apr 6, 2003
6,817
12
79
DFW Texas
Nov 12, 2005
#10
  • Nov 12, 2005
  • #10
Remember how it used to be ............................

355's or 373's

Grady
 

TripleBlack95

Member
Dec 14, 2003
153
1
16
Burke (Fairfax), VA
Nov 12, 2005
#11
  • Nov 12, 2005
  • #11
Yo WTF, I'm wasted and I know this s**t.

373 = manual

410 = auto.

End of story.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

3.08 gears with a manual trans
  • limp
  • Aug 27, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2 3
Replies
43
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Qtrhrse23
W
Speedometer and shifting issues
  • wyatt-tetro891
  • Aug 17, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
218
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 18, 2026
wyatt-tetro891
W
S
Speedometer Calibration
  • Sonny Bibb
  • Sep 11, 2026
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
Replies
4
Views
178
Digital Self-tuning Forum Sep 13, 2026
Sonny Bibb
S
F
Ford 460 swap
  • Ford460
  • Sep 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
293
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Ford460
F
4
Drivetrain Wilwood Clutch and Brake Pedal Combo Installation - Help
  • 427stang
  • Jul 8, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
84
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 8, 2026
427stang
4
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?