• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

what headers

  • Thread starter Thread starter smokeshow68
  • Start date Start date Jul 5, 2004
S

smokeshow68

New Member
Jul 3, 2004
1
0
0
Jul 5, 2004
#1
  • Jul 5, 2004
  • #1
im doing a auto to 5 speed swap, im going to send my pedals to mustang steve i heard try y's have to be modified but i would rather get new one but i dont know what header will have the most clearance for the clutch cable
can any one help
thanks
 

6Stang7

New Member
Jun 1, 2003
1,470
0
0
Livermore, CA
Jul 5, 2004
#2
  • Jul 5, 2004
  • #2
You know, I am not sure why the cable touching the headers ina problem. I have tri-y's as well, and the cable I am using is touching the headers, and has been for the past 600+ miles and I haven't had a problem. The cable is inside a metal sleave, and the cable it self is metal. I don't see what can break.
 
T

TT670

Founding Member
Jul 10, 2001
360
9
28
Jul 5, 2004
#3
  • Jul 5, 2004
  • #3
Im using Mustang Steves cable kit with MAC longtubes, its tight in the header area but so far there are no heat issues with the cable.
 

skywalker

Member
Dec 22, 2003
733
0
16
Pensacola, FL
Jul 5, 2004
#4
  • Jul 5, 2004
  • #4
smokeshow: any headers will work as long as the cable is wrapped generously in heat wrap where it touches the headers.
 
S

STSFCTN67

Member
Feb 5, 2003
450
0
16
Denver, CO
Jul 5, 2004
#5
  • Jul 5, 2004
  • #5
6Stang7 said:
You know, I am not sure why the cable touching the headers ina problem. I have tri-y's as well, and the cable I am using is touching the headers, and has been for the past 600+ miles and I haven't had a problem. The cable is inside a metal sleave, and the cable it self is metal. I don't see what can break.
Click to expand...

Give it more time and it will break for sure. The heating and cooling of the cable breaks it down and it will snap. You will know when the cable is heated up too much when one day you go out to your car and the clutch pedal is hard as a rock and you will need to pump it to break the melted plastic form the metal sleave. You do not want to use heat wrap and you want to make sure air passes between the header and the cable. You want to be sure the cable is not touching. If I could do it all over again, I would go with short tube headers. Continue to ask around or ask Mustang Steve directly - he would know for sure.
 

skywalker

Member
Dec 22, 2003
733
0
16
Pensacola, FL
Jul 5, 2004
#6
  • Jul 5, 2004
  • #6
STSFCTN67 said:
Give it more time and it will break for sure. The heating and cooling of the cable breaks it down and it will snap. You will know when the cable is heated up too much when one day you go out to your car and the clutch pedal is hard as a rock and you will need to pump it to break the melted plastic form the metal sleave. You do not want to use heat wrap and you want to make sure air passes between the header and the cable. You want to be sure the cable is not touching. If I could do it all over again, I would go with short tube headers. Continue to ask around or ask Mustang Steve directly - he would know for sure.
Click to expand...

I disagree.

I Wrapped miine is this exhaust repair gauze that you can buy at any auto parts store, then in heat tape, then i put the foil heat wrapper that came with it.

After several months like that I have zero damage to the cable and the headers run hotter than hades.
 

6Stang7

New Member
Jun 1, 2003
1,470
0
0
Livermore, CA
Jul 6, 2004
#7
  • Jul 6, 2004
  • #7
I don't see what plasitc can metal onto the cable. It is a metal cable in a metal tube. THere are plastic end, but I have touched them after a nice hour of hard driving and they were hot, but not hot enough to where I couldn't hold my hand on it.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

C
Help with manual conversion
  • CPH89LX
  • Aug 23, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
20
Views
457
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 27, 2026
2000xp8
T
Need help with 302 swap
  • thxmxrgx
  • Sep 23, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
162
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 24, 2026
thxmxrgx
T
4
Drivetrain Wilwood Clutch and Brake Pedal Combo Installation - Help
  • 427stang
  • Jul 8, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
80
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 8, 2026
427stang
4
D
Mustang not starting
  • Dawry Ramos
  • Sep 12, 2026
  • 2015 - 2023 Specific Tech
Replies
10
Views
210
2015 - 2023 Specific Tech Today at 9:20 AM
Dawry Ramos
D
New Exhaust for 408w stroker
  • SadbutTrue
  • Sep 10, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
90
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Sep 10, 2026
nickyb
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?