What intake for 351W?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

i have a trickflow r non box.

but for wat i kinda wish i would have done was get a gt40 351w lower and an explorer upper just for the sake of getting it in the car. the way i see it is with the gt40 heads your not goin to need a huge intake. plus i believe the used value of the gt40 combo would probably have a better resale value cause you could just turn around and sell it for the same price as you have in it instead of taking a hit on the typhoon.plus you'd get to used that polished upper you got there and it would give it a little more of a sleeper look

Have you priced GT40 351 lowers lately? There's one on ebay and it's well over 300 bucks!

I'm going to list the Explorer intake on corral or something for sale, hopefully it'll take alot of the hit off the Typhoon intake.

And yes, you said the magic words..."for the sake of getting it in the car!". My 302 in my car feels like it'll come apart soon. It has around 170K miles and it's tired. I figure I can replace the 302 with a 302 or just step up to the 351. If it makes a little more power and a bunch more torque than the 302, that's fine with me. Once the mods are done to get it in the car I can start focusing on a nice top end for it.

Ok, this is what I needed! I posted a problem with the victor and you solved it for me.

Next up, where is the best place to pick this intake up at? Summit seems to be high on their prices all of the sudden.

Keep in mind I have 70ci more than you. That intake will be too big for a GT-40 headed 351, unless you're revving it out to 7k+. It also does not have PCV or EGR connections on the intake.

I still suggest going with a GT-40/RPM/Typhoon intake for now. You can move up to a larger intake later when you have the heads and cam to match it.

mark, i would think something like a tfs stage 1 or 2 would be ok for that setup. and they are not expensive.

that block has roller lifters, right?

the motor you got ... did it include the intake? if so, maybe with some ingenuity, you might be able to use it ... :shrug:

down the road, when you do the turbo thing, new heads and intake would be a good idea.

You have alot to learn. I see you getting in over your head very quickly. :nonono:
how does this help anything?

i'll make a prediction ... mark will get this 351 in his car and on the road before you finish yours.
Man you don't know what you want to do. You need to sit down and think this through so you don't end up doing things twice or three times. Forget what anyone says on here (including myself) and you need to get in contact with Jay Allen or Ed whatever his last name is and see what they suggest and get a cam by either of them. Jay is an ******* and I don't like him but if I were you I'd go with him over Ed.
seems to me, that is why he is asking

and by the way, his name is ed curtis
With that said go with a Victor Jr EFI setup with a 90mm Edelbrock elbow and a 90mm Accufab TB. But what do I know, my car is slow for what it is.
holy crap, talk about going too big ... a 90mm accufab flows more than mike's 418 can take. that does not at all fit the rest of mark's combo, or his budget.
No, I cannot put into words how restrictive that intake is on your car. :notnice:
i have put it into words more than a few times. but that has nothing to do with this thread, does it?

this is about mark's build and the intake that will work for him. i have 60 more cubes than him, so what is a restriction for me is not necessarily a restriction for him. now if he was planning on racing it and getting max hp, then the intake would be a bigger issue. but that's not what he is doing.

for what mark is doing with this build, a typhoon is probably adequate.

Thanks Chris, I appreciate you looking at it from my point of view. I just need a fresh start because my engine is tired. I drove it just a few minutes ago. I has descent power still and doesn't smoke, but you can just feel it, I've been driving these things long enough to where I can feel the difference between a tight motor and a tired motor.

So I'll just order up the Typhoon and use that for now. And I'll look into the TFS stage 2 cam(any P/V clearance issues?). Since my setup won't have alot of high rpm power, maybe I can omit the valve springs for the time being and use the stock stuff. What do you guys think? Not a good area to skimp maybe??

i'll make a prediction ... mark will get this 351 in his car and on the road before you finish yours.

Before I finish what? I'll make a prediction...I bet his 351 makes 100rwhp LESS than my 302 based stroker does. :ban:

holy crap, talk about going too big ... a 90mm accufab flows more than mike's 418 can take. that does not at all fit the rest of mark's combo, or his budget.

You're telling me that a 90mm TB flows more than a 419cid motor needs? I can now see why you know the OPer personally. You two are a prime example of how stock LS1 owners think 351 cars are slow. Learn how to design a combination that will go fast and let me know when you do.

Before I finish what? I'll make a prediction...I bet his 351 makes 100rwhp LESS than my 302 based stroker does. :ban:
sorry, i don't know why, but i thought you were building a 351 based combo. i guess i was wrong about that
You're telling me that a 90mm TB flows more than a 419cid motor needs?
yep, that's exactly what i am saying. don't believe me? maybe you should read this:

Article 3
I can now see why you know the OPer personally.
i don't know him personally ... his name is in his sig. i think it is a courtesy to address him by name.
You two are a prime example of how stock LS1 owners think 351 cars are slow. Learn how to design a combination that will go fast and let me know when you do.
what part of "this is not a performance build" are you failing to understand? :bang:
Thanks Chris, I appreciate you looking at it from my point of view. I just need a fresh start because my engine is tired. I drove it just a few minutes ago. I has descent power still and doesn't smoke, but you can just feel it, I've been driving these things long enough to where I can feel the difference between a tight motor and a tired motor.

So I'll just order up the Typhoon and use that for now. And I'll look into the TFS stage 2 cam(any P/V clearance issues?). Since my setup won't have alot of high rpm power, maybe I can omit the valve springs for the time being and use the stock stuff. What do you guys think? Not a good area to skimp maybe??
sorry, i don't know about the p/v clearance thing. about the springs, i'd get ones that trick flow recommends for the cam

what part of "this is not a performance build" are you failing to understand? :bang:

1st a 90mm TB is not overkill. It is only a valve to let air into the motor. I'm not going to sit here and try to explain to you why it would be a good choice on a 351 setup. The numbers my 331 (with a 90mm TB) speaks for me.

And if this is not a performance build then go get a damn 302 and throw the GT40stuff on it! It will be alot easier in the long run. If he is asking such basic questions I will hate to see what will happen when he meets something in the swap that doesn't just drop in.

1st a 90mm TB is not overkill. It is only a valve to let air into the motor. I'm not going to sit here and try to explain to you why it would be a good choice on a 351 setup. The numbers my 331 (with a 90mm TB) speaks for me.

And if this is not a performance build then go get a damn 302 and throw the GT40stuff on it! It will be alot easier in the long run. If he is asking such basic questions I will hate to see what will happen when he meets something in the swap that doesn't just drop in.

Perhaps you didn't see my thread on converting my car to a 5 speed? I've done that swap about 6 or 7 times now. Yes, before I did my first one I asked a ton of questions. Why? So when the time came to do the swap I was armed with all the info I need.

Everything you are saying will be implemented into this motor at some point. It's costing me enough money as it is just to get all the parts to make the motor physically fit into the engine bay. So i have to compromise performance at the moment to make this swap happen.

Trust me, a big stroker is in the future!

On the other hand, I do have a very clean Explorer engine sitting in my shop, maybe I should install that for now with all the goodies I already have, then build a big windsor for the future.. hmmmmm... I hate these freaking cars sometimes!

On the other hand, I do have a very clean Explorer engine sitting in my shop, maybe I should install that for now with all the goodies I already have, then build a big windsor for the future.. hmmmmm... I hate these freaking cars sometimes!
That would be my suggestion. Limit the down time and have the 351, (408W or whatever you plan on doing to it) ready to go when you're financially able to afford the complete drop. Who knows...you might even change your mind again in the mean time? :shrug:

That was just a thought man. I didn't say that's what I was GOING to do. I can almost offset the price for the intake by selling my polished exploder intake. So the rest will be the little things. Plus, I have a good buddy at the parts place who is gonna "warranty out" my recently purchased balancer and flywheel and exchange them for the 28oz balance stuff.

I'm going to start a build thread to give people who want to do this CHEAP a descent reference. I'm gonna take plenty of pics so every detail will covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.