What Is A Good Top End Kit?

MY 85 GT

10 Year Member
Mar 7, 2008
New Jersey
Looking into having a Top end Kit done on my 92 GT what is a good kit...I was thinking Trickflow...what other choices are there?....And if having a shop install this what do you think cost would be around?...I would buy all the parts Just labor costs...

• Sponsors (?)

People seem to like the Trick Flow kit.

I got an estimate a few years ago for the h/c/i installation -- I believe it was $1,200 or $1,400.

Reactions: 1 user
I would expect around 1500$ for labor. If buying a kit I wouldn't buy a "budget" one that uses knockoff parts(like the ones at LMR,American Muscle,etc). The tfs kit is the best one. Now if you want a little more power or are on a budget, you can piece together your own setup. Budget wise you can look into some used parts and save a bunch of money. And if you want to go higher end/more power potential you can buy better parts than what comes in a typical kit. Like Mike asked above...what is your budget,plans for car,and existing mods? Can give more detailed response once those questions are answered.

Not looking for killer power..Its an AOD to so mainly 300 hp?....run mid 13s....maybe something i can add to later on, maybe a supercharger if i wanted to...i might convert it to a 5spd too down the road...

Not looking for killer power..Its an AOD to so mainly 300 hp?....run mid 13s....maybe something i can add to later on, maybe a supercharger if i wanted to...i might convert it to a 5spd too down the road...

Buy the supercharger and achieve that. Used kits come up for similar prices to an HCI and if you need more power change the pulley and retune. You can make block splitting power on stock long block.....well if everything holds.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with @Black1987
If I had say....4K-5k, I'd just jump into a good Vortech kit with all the supporting mods. You could make 350+rwhp easily enough(which is more than the typical h/c/i). Have civil manners capable of driving anywhere. Then if you wanted to make serious power down the road...build an engine and take advantage of it all. But if you just want to stick with a h/c/i for your desired outcome, I'd do the trick flow kit. That kit is the most complete,well engineered,and capable of growing with you.

X10..... i always have done the HCI then the supercharger on my builds including my present ride. all things considered, probably would have been better off just putting the V3 on and calling it a day.

If you are looking for a one stop shop, go with the TFS kit. One part number and you are at 270- 290ish rwhp with the AOD as it sucks up nearly 20% of HP vs 15% with a stick. Do not get the track heat intake as it is designed for higher RPM and you will lose low end torque. IF you want to get the most HP, then I'd call up Ed Curtis at FTI for a cam and then go with either TW or AFR heads and you will need to piece together the rest of the parts.

With the AOD you will probably need a tune for a few reasons- the HCI will move your rpm band higher, you have a stock converter and to fix the surging idle you will have. I'd also invest in a set of 3.73 gears to help get you out of the hole.

Oh, and for the AOD, I would highly suggest a trans cooler and a SilverFox valvebody regardless if you go HCI or supercharged.

Reactions: 1 users