What is a reasonable cost to get gears installed?

sandiegostang

May 19, 2011
I finally saved some money so now I am looking at getting my gears installed. I spoke with a local shop who quoted me $650 to install the gears. The shop is also going to replace the bearings and clutch packs at the same time. The only parts I am providing are my 4.10 ring and pinon. Is this quote reasonable?

• Sponsors (?)

FWIW, I went to a Ford dealership and talked to a mechanic and asked if anyone would want to do it on the side. I paid $300 for the work and provided the ring, pinion, bearings, and trac-lok rebuild kit.

The trac-lok rebuild kit is around $100 (do you know if you're getting the carbon fiber discs?) and the bearing kit is around $75. Therefore, you're paying about $475 for labor and that's at a shop. I don't think that's terribly unreasonable. Do you know if the shop is a reputable place of business?

Do you know any mechanics or anyone who works at a dealership that could hook you up with a tech that would do it on the side?

That price is probably ok, if at a shop that will warranty the job. I have done all of my own until the wifes Explorer wore out its ring and pinion. Its an irs style, and I was not in town to fix it. The total cost for new Ford gears and the install was right at $900. A small price to make the wife happy!