What is it worth

havack

Nov 24, 2002
Memphis TN
You know you hear of the story of the little old lady that has an old car in her garage to sell and you go in and find a gem? Well I was doing some lawn work with my dad the other day and a little old lady in a wheel chair let me see her gem. She was the original owner to a white, 1966, six cylinder, pony interior, factory air, center consoled mustang. the tires were flat and the engine was seized due to no use and sometime back in the early 70s the original blue centered wire hub caps were stolen and all she could find were red centered wire hub caps. Now the car was full of boxes and many were stacked on top of her hiding the better part of the car but from what I saw the paint and chrome were perfect.

Considering this is not a GT , nor a fastback, nor even a V8, what do you think it is worth? She is contimplating selling it and she knows it has value. She talked to me about fixing the car back to running shape.

Do we have any serious collectors that could chime in? I am not trying to presell the car, only trying to help direct her if she sells.

• Sponsors (?)

In my opinion, these type of questions are impossible to answer accurately. It sounds like a great car, and I'm sure it's well worth restoring to running condition, even if just to get it mechanically sound again, but value for these cars is subjective, to say the least. I'd recommend watching ebay regularly to look for similar cars, and consider selling it through ebay when the time comes. Any car is only worth what buyers are willing to pay, you could just set a high reserve and go fishing on ebay to see what it brings.

well you didn't say waht bodstyle it is either: coupe, fastback or vert but i'm going to assume it's a coupe. for starters a 6 popper with factory air, console and pony interior is fairly uncommon and therefore somewhat rare, you also didn't mention mileage but for the sake of argument and since it's been sitting since the 70's we'll assume it's fairly low, say under 75k. taking all these hypotheticals into consideration and basing this on what you have told us i'd venture to say it's probably worth $6-8k, obviously it would be worth more if was a v8 and a fastback or a vert, also if the overall condition of teh car isn't what you described the value would be less.

so being that it's fairly rare or more accurately, somewhat of an oddity, it's worth a good little not especially collectable or valuable

I don't know what it is worth but if has original paint in good shape and the body doesn't have any rust in it the value would go up quite a bit from an average condition car. If it is a vert or a f/b in good original condition then the price just keeps climbing.

How do you know that the engine is siezed? BTW, I agree with the $6,000 - $8,000 figure assuming the body is in real good shape. The A/C & Pony interior is a big factor too.

To all those who say that it's worth what someone will pay for it. What do y'all do when you list your house? You don't have a market analysis done or list an asking price?

You know you hear of the story of the little old lady that has an old car in her garage to sell and you go in and find a gem? Well I was doing some lawn work with my dad the other day and a little old lady in a wheel chair let me see her gem. She was the original owner to a white, 1966, six cylinder, pony interior, factory air, center consoled mustang. the tires were flat and the engine was seized due to no use and sometime back in the early 70s the original blue centered wire hub caps were stolen and all she could find were red centered wire hub caps. Now the car was full of boxes and many were stacked on top of her hiding the better part of the car but from what I saw the paint and chrome were perfect.

Considering this is not a GT , nor a fastback, nor even a V8, what do you think it is worth? She is contimplating selling it and she knows it has value. She talked to me about fixing the car back to running shape.

Do we have any serious collectors that could chime in? I am not trying to presell the car, only trying to help direct her if she sells.

I picked up my '65 A-code fastback for $2000.00..it was sitting the garage of the previous owners mothers house for 18 years. Prior to that it sat in that owners garage for approximately 10 years. It's had a failry rough life in it's short service on the road, but, the body is solid and the only rust is a quarter-sized hole in the drivers floorboard. The list of N.O.S. parts is extensive as is the list of good used parts.

By the end of today, the front suspension will be new and the rear will be on it's way to new.

As others have stated before, it's worth what someone is willing to pay.

Nice find!!!

Jim

When I buy these sort of things I always do the same thing.

Put enough cash in your pocket to pay the maximum you are willing to pay for whatever you are trying to buy.

Ask the seller this question exactly this way.

"Sir, I really like to buy this if you'll sell it to me."

Then shut up. I mean, don't say a word. Make the other guy talk first. Whatever he says, respond with.

"I don't like to haggle, but I'm afraid if I offer you a price I might insult you. How much do you think it's worth?"

He'll come up with a price. If you like it, say "OK, I'll go to my car and get the money".

In this case I'd walk out and call the tow truck, count out the money, and walk back and pay the guy before he changes his mind.

well you didn't say waht bodstyle it is either: coupe, fastback or vert but i'm going to assume it's a coupe. for starters a 6 popper with factory air, console and pony interior is fairly uncommon and therefore somewhat rare, you also didn't mention mileage but for the sake of argument and since it's been sitting since the 70's we'll assume it's fairly low, say under 75k. taking all these hypotheticals into consideration and basing this on what you have told us i'd venture to say it's probably worth $6-8k, obviously it would be worth more if was a v8 and a fastback or a vert, also if the overall condition of teh car isn't what you described the value would be less.

so being that it's fairly rare or more accurately, somewhat of an oddity, it's worth a good little not especially collectable or valuable

If you read the original post he says it is not a fastback. :lol:

How do you know that the engine is siezed?

I have been out for a bit so I am sorry I didn't respond sooner.

I can't say that the motor is seized but the lady told me it was. I wish it was the FB or a V8 but sadly it is not or at least the fender was not badged as a V8. not having access to the VIN I can only assume the I6. Did Ford ever not badge the V8?

I have asked her to give me a price and told her that if I didn't buy it that I would at least get it back into shape for her to sell. As she has no children nor husband I can only cry at the thought of what would happen to the car when she dies.

I am thinking that if the motor is seized from sitting then it should be able to be freed. From her stories it ran when she parked it but why she thinks it is seized I never asked. Could be as simple as a dead battery or bad starter for all I know.

As for the milelage she said it was 62K.