What is my GT worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnfanatic

5 Year Member
Sep 27, 2018
Long Island, NY
Hey guys, new member here. I am unf in a situation to sell my GT so I can build my garage. I dont know where the market is and would appreciate your help. It is a 2 owner AUTO 1989 GT with orig paint and no rust or accidents. The car has 31k on it and some minor mods done to it in the 90's such as quad shocks in rear, 1in drop MSD ign and such. Interior is immaculate and shows no signs of wear. All panels have Vin stickers as well. I do know the entire heating system (hoses and rad) were replaced 6 years ago. Car needs a tune up and the tires need to be replaced. Not sure what to ask for?

thanks for your help!

Pro's: No rust, pretty much orig. Orig paint very nice interior.
Cons: Needs tuneup and tires, front bumper ford paint is cracked all over (dealer fixed years ago but poorly). crease on pass side door.

Attachments

• 20180927_131623.jpg
    20180927_131623.jpg
    568.2 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_17081.jpg
    IMG_17081.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_17071.jpg
    IMG_17071.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_17061.jpg
    IMG_17061.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 175
  • Sponsors (?)

Hi, I knew the auto would def hurt but pretty easy for a swap unless you want to keep orig. I was hoping to 8k-9k and this month roughly. If it doesnt happen I might keep the car then. I want to build the shell for my garage before winter hits and the funds from this sale would pay for that.

I think 10k is steep for that car. The automatic really reduces the buyers interest in that year Mustang. Knock some more off for the door damage. That door will need paint and good luck matching the color with an older car overall.

Dropped suspension? Meh.... and why an MSD unless there’s other significant modifications that would require it?

$6500 or maybe $7000 is my guess.

Just my opinion

I didn't see that either.

If you intend to sell it, keep it as stock as possible. If you replace parts, keep the originals (like the wires and cap) and put them in the hatch. These days, the more original, the more value.

However the body damage is a value-decreaser. How much depends on how badly the person buying is willing to overlook to get a 31K mile in the rust belt. If your strut towers and underside are rust/rot free...the car will sell.

As someone who also lives in the northeast, I can tell you that we either have $3-5K rust boxes with bad towers and rust all on the underside, or $10K+ garage queens. However, the thing that hurt it are 1:) AOD and 2:) it's a GT. For some reason LX's are the ones in demand.

I'm going to change my estimate to $7-8K minimum although id probably ask $10K and go from there.

Thanks guys, I did not know the quad shocks were oem, they are Koni brand. I understand about the crease in the door being an issue. If I dont sell it I will keep it stored and restore in a year or two. No rust on strut towers or under car.

Attachments

• 20180927_131942.jpg
    20180927_131942.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 133
  • 20180927_131939.jpg
    20180927_131939.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 20180927_131708.jpg
    20180927_131708.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 122
  • 20180927_131830.jpg
    20180927_131830.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 132
My take on the car...Don't worry about the door and in my opinion, do not fix that spot so the next person can see it exactly as it is. That's not a big repair at all. That can be fixed a couple different ways OR for $300 any good shop in my area would do that complete repair for you. It's isolated to the door and won't involve other panels. The door guts will have to come out but no big deal. I've been in the fox world since day one and am an old guy. Bought my car brand new in '88 and it was a bright regatta blue over titanium GT similar to yours. I was always in the school of thought that automatics sucked. No more. Maybe it will hurt the price with some but maybe not with others. It's a valid point others have brought up. I have people stop at my house weekly asking if my car is for sale. I've had people offer me the money you are being told here and my car is nowhere near as new looking as your's cosmetically. And I have an embarrassing number of miles. These cars are going up and up. Don't shortchange yourself. Lots of good advice above.....except that one rogue comment about the price being hurt because it's a GT......:p:D (j/k of course)

Reactions: 1 user
A rust free, low mileage, basically stock fox that isn't beat to sh!@ is like finding a unicorn here in the northeast.
I searched for over a year before I found my clean 93GT and that was in 2006.
Yes, like already stated the auto and door damage will devalue it some but I would ask $10,500obo for that and see
where you end up. Need to keep in mind a number your comfortable with, good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.