What is this?

2006KJ

Mar 29, 2010
North West PA
Bought the car used and this was in it.. it says EMS on it with a dial that can be turned from 0 - 1 -2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7. then back to 1 in a circle... and either direction. the previous owner said it was in there when he got it and only knows it as a 'performance chip'. if you turn it too far one way it kills the car... if you turn it too far the other way it kills the car. This leads me to believe it advanced/retards the spark or fuel.

1. what is it.
2. What does it do
3. how do i tune it in (besides what makes the car 'feel' and 'sound' best)
4. any other info you can give about it would be great!

here are 2 pictures

ems2.jpg

ems1.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

i think it is that... i took off my passenger kick panel and the stock computer is in there with a wire going to the controller in the console. I thought it might have been an air fuel ratio or spark adjuster because the car wasnt running right. Today a changed all the spark plugs, boots, wires, and coil packs... now it runs like the wind (107,000 miles with original plugs, coil packs, boots..) next to go is the original fuel filter. Found all 8 coil packs at summit for under $200! great deal. i believe they are accel (bright yellow).

so i figure my EMS thing has 3 tunes loaded in it.. because if its on a number that doesnt have a tune it shuts off. it shuts off on 0 and 4 so 1,2,and 3 should all have tunes. now only if i knew what the 'tunes' were for.

i think it is that... i took off my passenger kick panel and the stock computer is in there with a wire going to the controller in the console. I thought it might have been an air fuel ratio or spark adjuster because the car wasnt running right. Today a changed all the spark plugs, boots, wires, and coil packs... now it runs like the wind (107,000 miles with original plugs, coil packs, boots..) next to go is the original fuel filter. Found all 8 coil packs at summit for under $200! great deal. i believe they are accel (bright yellow).

so i figure my EMS thing has 3 tunes loaded in it.. because if its on a number that doesnt have a tune it shuts off. it shuts off on 0 and 4 so 1,2,and 3 should all have tunes. now only if i knew what the 'tunes' were for.

I can't say for sure, but I have a feeling that they are for different octane ratings. As in 87, 91, 93 octane tunes (or 87, 89, 91 depending on where you live).

Do you get any pinging with any particular setting? And if so, what octane are you running?

havnt gotten any pinging at all.. but still really haven't used the car much. still getting it back on the road. I have it on the number 1 setting now and using whatever gas is in the car when i bought it. When i can drive the car more i'll play with setting 2 and 3 and see if it makes any difference performance wise. sure is interesting.