What kind of new tires

Shawneebear93

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
May 4, 2004
Salisbury Twp, Allentown, PA
I live in PA and am thinking about putting on studded tires for the winter and purchasing some Ponies or Cobra Rs over the winter.
For those who live in PA - when can I use the studded tires because I believe there is a certain time of the year.
Does anyone recommend (or not) studded tires? What kind should I get?
If you don't recommend, what should I look for?

I have the 16 inch 10-holes (ick) with 205/65R/15 on there now, how big can I go?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

They don't last long on a turbo car, I know that for sure!! I get a new set every year or two. I like nice new tires too though. I hit the slopes all winter long as well. I have run Coopers and well as the Hankook's which I prefer because they are a little more of an aggressive tire which helps and also cheaper. The Coopers seem to wear faster. I ran 2 sets of each in various sizes. But with the studless tire technology now nobody really needs studs.

You don't need studded tires. Everybody around here seems to run studded tires in the winter, but I think people fail to realize that studs only help if you're on ice...and if the roads are that bad, stay home!

My recommendation for snow tires is to go to Sam's Club if you can, and get a set of their Snowtrakker tires. I ran a set of those on my Mustang (205/65R15's on a spare set of 10-holes) and I loved them. They worked great and lasted me through 2 winters, or was it 3? I can't remember. At any rate, they have a nice aggressive tread pattern, lots of siping, they wear nicely and above all they're cheap. I'm gonna buy a set for my tempo whenever Sam's starts selling them again.

BTW- Those tires MIGHT be available at wal-mart, I really don't know.

Also- I ran 50 lbs in my '90 and never had any problems, but then it also had the battery in the hatch and I carried around a full size spare. and a small toolbox back there. I did drive on some nasty roads though....

snow snow snow

what you want to do is goto your local wal-mart and ask for the special order books on tires. there are lots of great tires in their for winter use. as far as studs go stay away from them totally. what you want is a tire with lots of siping in the tread. the siping in the tire is to a tire what your fingernails are to your hand. they grip and grab at the pavement from the movement of the tire. I work at walmart and id really reccomend some goodyears or michelin snow tires.

I've run the studded snows that came on the 10-holes that were on my car when I got it for two winters now, and they were already used when I got them. The only problems I have with them is that they're loud and traction in dry weather SUCKS. I was planning on refinishing my 10-holes in black with polished lips and center caps, but never got around to it this summer....might still do it in the fall, I bet it'd look okay. Studs aren't that bad, I don't know why the outcry against them.

Ash

tregore said:
what you want to do is goto your local wal-mart and ask for the special order books on tires. there are lots of great tires in their for winter use. as far as studs go stay away from them totally. what you want is a tire with lots of siping in the tread. the siping in the tire is to a tire what your fingernails are to your hand. they grip and grab at the pavement from the movement of the tire. I work at walmart and id really reccomend some goodyears or michelin snow tires.
You mean my Kuhmo 711's with large tread blocks and circumferential bands arn't good for the snow? :doh: :p Ohh well, the large tread blocks reduced tread squirm, and gave me a very tight and responcive car.
I have a pair of studded snow tires which I got from the previous owner. Most of the studs have fallen out (or are worn to nothing), but the tires are tall and skinny with an incredibly aggressive tread pattern. I can get anywhere with them, but putting them on, and taking them off everytime is snows is a huge PITA. They are just plain dangerous on dry pavement. The tires have no sidewall support, and no traction. I sent the rear end around on dry pavement going hard into 2nd gear in and AUTOMATIC.

Studs also destroy the roads! Stop using them!
Up in washington, people forget to take them off and basically every summer they end up doing road work everywhere. its a mess! get a set of cables or chains for the areas that need them (dont drive fast!). also studs have a tendancy to remove paint and make holes in fenders.

For the summer, I have always loved michelan Pilots (different levels avail.) and Toyo Proxes (also in diff levels.). whatever summers I got right now are ok, but I will go back to michlins more than likely.

and no I do not know how to spell!
:p

one word BLIZZAK. Tire rack is the cheapest and they deliver to your door. These are the best snow tire hands down. I lived in hatfeild PA for 27 years. I have run these on my svo since 92 going back and forth from the poconos. But use your head if it is that bad Mustangs are just plane dangerous in the snow especcially if they are turbos.

mustangs were never really designed to play in the snow (safely).
get another car. LOL

As for tireRack, they are cheap, but what about after shipping? I rembember my four tires being like 100+ dollars. I could of just ordered themm here localy and had them within a week.
I have a feeling TireRack might end up being like Crutchfeild. You dont buy from them, you just use them as reference.

besides their tech kinda sucks (when it comes to merkurs any how).

just thoughts.

TF

I don't have much of a choice. I only drive in the winter if I have to.
This year Im going to college and have a part time job. I can't ask Mommy for the AWD Astro anymore >>> now that was made to play in the snow, and it smokes my 2.3!
If I order the Blizzaks or whatever, can I just take them anywhere to be put on? Some shops only install if you buy through them? I think I'll just buy from my regular mechanic - he's a good guy.