Fox What long tube size?

I have a 1988 GT and the only modification that I have done so far to this car is put a 2.5 inch off road H pipe with Flowmaster 40 series mufflers. I am new to modifying Fox's so and am interested in getting some long tube headers. I'd like to go with BBK but based on my setup I'm not sure if I should get 1 3/4 inch or 1 5/8 inch long tubes. The car was bone stock when I first bought it. Thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

You won't gain much with long tubes vrs shorties, a little bump in low end torque, then you have to either get new h pipe or modify yours, 1 5/8 shorties are fine for a mild street build.
I run long tubes but I'm old fashioned.
JMO

Reactions: 1 users
If you’re stuck on long tubes . 1 5/8 is fine for what you have . If you plan on growing get the 1 3/4 . You will need to modify or replace the mid pipe as mentioned

Reactions: 1 user
You won't gain much with long tubes vrs shorties, a little bump in low end torque, then you have to either get new h pipe or modify yours, 1 5/8 shorties are fine for a mild street build.
I run long tubes but I'm old fashioned.
JMO
How is ground clearance with Mudtang long tubes?
I like how the BBK shorties and mid pipe (not midwife, Siri!) don’t scrape like full length headers I had on another car. Those clearanced themselves.

I have a 1988 GT and the only modification that I have done so far to this car is put a 2.5 inch off road H pipe with Flowmaster 40 series mufflers. I am new to modifying Fox's so and am interested in getting some long tube headers. I'd like to go with BBK but based on my setup I'm not sure if I should get 1 3/4 inch or 1 5/8 inch long tubes. The car was bone stock when I first bought it. Thoughts?
I'd go with the shorties on a mostly stock car. 1 5/8's is fine unless you're planning on a lot more power.
How is ground clearance with Mudtang long tubes?
I like how the BBK shorties and mid pipe (not midwife, Siri!) don’t scrape like full length headers I had on another car. Those clearanced themselves.
I run BBK's ceramic long tubes with their off road H pipe with Mac's progressive rate lowering springs (1 1/2 inch drop) and they rarely scrape. I have to do something stupid like not slow down for a speed bump but even then it's not a super bad hit.

Reactions: 1 user