Suspension What lube for poly sway bar bushings

• Sponsors (?)

Any silicone, non petroleum based lube, super lube 41150 tube is what most will buy for a grease gun, I use Jet-Lube 73550 just because I have a few tubes, its sold as a dielectric grease but it won't affect the urethane and seems to last longer for me.

My favorite parts place ( Before they sold out to NAPA) turned me on to this Napa brand silicone lube for some brake work I was doing 30 or so years ago..... This stuff is really handy around the garage.. I think this is my 3rd tube....
DSCF1063.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
My favorite parts place ( Before they sold out to NAPA) turned me on to this Napa brand silicone lube for some brake work I was doing 30 or so years ago..... This stuff is really handy around the garage.. I think this is my 3rd tube....
DSCF1063.JPG

Most parts stores have that for around $10 a tube from the oem AGS, same company that makes all those tiny lube packs they push at the counter with every sale.

Reactions: 1 user
No lube there. No moving parts. Just flex
But the body to sway bar bushings can creak a lot with the little movement they have when you go over speed bumps etc.. The bars ends do swing up and down causing the center to rotate, besides twisting a bit.
Cold or a little dirt makes it worse. The third time my Ranger needed bushings under warranty for noise, I asked Ford to use clean them and use silicone grease. There was no more annoying creak as long as I owned it.
PST has polygraphite that is supposed to be self lubricating. I was skeptical, but I have not had the noise on my Mustang with them.

But you have a sway bar rotating through a bushing, and a bushing rotating in a mounting cup. That creates a slip joint in which noise/vibration can originate.

Engine/trans mounts are potted with no slippage during normal typical use. The poly just bends and that itself won’t create noise.

It’s like an rubber band. Tugging on the band doesn’t necessarily creat noise, but if you wrap it around something and pull it creating drag, it can create vibrations.

But you have a sway bar rotating through a bushing, and a bushing rotating in a mounting cup. That creates a slip joint in which noise/vibration can originate.

Engine/trans mounts are potted with no slippage during normal typical use. The poly just bends and that itself won’t create noise.

It’s like an rubber band. Tugging on the band doesn’t necessarily creat noise, but if you wrap it around something and pull it creating drag, it can create vibrations.
I’m thinking one of us got off topic 5L5. Except that most (sub) frame to bar bushings are D shape, (not all, but close enough for Fox bodies), I absolutely agree that the grab and slip is what is likely to cause the noise on sway bars. It’s like sports shoes on the gym floor, but less fun.

I do not know where engine or transmission mounts came in, but yes, they only transmit some more NHV as they have a higher durometer than rubber mounts. Those do not need greased.

Pretty much and grease will work with poly bushings. I use that manufacturers provide in the packet, if not it gets some Lucas red and tacky. As long as something slick that stays out is on there that’s really all that matters