What Mods?

Dad's GT

Mar 19, 2017
Hey guys. Newbie on the forum. I'm looking for direction on what to do to my 00 GT. It's bone stock. 5 speed. It's been my daily driver for almost 17 years now. I've drag raced it. Auto crossed it for a bunch of years. It's now time to get on top of it. It still runs ok, but the motor is tired. It slips out of reverse every once in a while. The motor is getting tired and it's coming up on a refresh. But, since I don't believe in rebuilding a stock motor, what are my options? If I wanted 350+ horsepower to the ground, is 6-7 grand between the motor and trans reasonable? If so. How do I get there? Like I said, the motor needs to be redone. Or am I better off doing a crate motor? I know there are places to get a 03-04 cobra motor for that ballpark. I don't want a nitrous motor. And it will still be my daily driver. I don't really need a step by step, but there are so many options I'm just trying to get a handle on it. Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

Why are you adverse to rebuilding the motor that you already have? It would be cheaper to do and while the motor is out of the car you can add long tube headers cams if you are interested in that route. I had a buddy with Comp Cams stage 2 Cams and full exhaust with cai and a tune and he was making 300 hp to the wheels. Granted its 50 less than what you want but it would still be a fun car. Or you could just procharge it which many will probably agree is the most cost effective method of getting power out of the 4.6 instead of going with cams and heads. Also upgrading your upper and lower control arms and having good shocks and tires will help a lot if you are serious about drag racing it. I wish I could help more but I have not built a motor myself so I dont know what to tell you for what to do when looking for a new engine block.

Thanks for the response. I'm not necessarily opposed to rebuilding this motor. I'm trying to figure out my options. 300 to the wheels is definitely a fun car, especially a daily driver. If I went that route, I have to figure in downtime for my car. I just got the green light from my wife, the boss, to put the money into the car instead of a new car payment. There are so many options, I'm not sure where to start. Rebuild. Crate. A cobra motor from a wrecked cobra. I am on a budget, but do have a little wiggle room. I'm just not sure what to even expect from my budget yet.

Thanks for the response. I'm not necessarily opposed to rebuilding this motor. I'm trying to figure out my options. 300 to the wheels is definitely a fun car, especially a daily driver. If I went that route, I have to figure in downtime for my car. I just got the green light from my wife, the boss, to put the money into the car instead of a new car payment. There are so many options, I'm not sure where to start. Rebuild. Crate. A cobra motor from a wrecked cobra. I am on a budget, but do have a little wiggle room. I'm just not sure what to even expect from my budget yet.

You could do is get a 3v 4.6 from a 2005-2009 Mustang and transplant it in your GT. That engine makes 300 hp stock and you can get 350 out of it relatively easily. Just depends how comfortable you are at removing your old engine and swapping in the new one. Along with the wiring harness and new computer for it.