What muffler provides substantial interior resonance?

Seraphitia102

will post boobie pics for a supercharger
Oct 11, 2004
California
I have Flowmaster 40's and they create a huge interior resonance within the car. I was just wondering what other brand mufflers besides Flowmasters create a lot of interior resonance. I know that there's lots of people who chose mufflers other than Flowmasters and I just wanted to know your experience on them regarding interior resonance.

• Sponsors (?)

I hear it called drone around here a lot. I used to have a 91 lx vert stang and I had the 2 chamber flowmasters and they droned like crazy, it is worse with a vert. I changed to the 3 chamber flows, much better. i went with a magnaflow catback on my 03 cobra and 04 vert, mean sound at wot, but no drone, excellent peformance gains, excellent product for the price. I just had some rolled edge tips welded on and it looks as good as it sounds ! How did your insurance claim go ? I would do a catted h midpipe when you do your catback if you redo it. I can tell you're ready for your next mod !

My MAC flowpaths don't drone much and sound pretty good with the Prochamber. I have fitment issues with my catback but I don't think that's the norm. I also have fitment issues with my Mac LT's but whatever.
I'm also curious as to how your insurance claim went with your fenderbender?

[QUOTE='03GTinFLA]Ok I guess they do, but it's not enough to bother me or anyone else that has ever been in my car. So I would say it's not much of a drone. It's all personal opinion though.:shrug:[/QUOTE]
What I've been told, is that the prochamber mid-pipe will quieten it down a lot, but I ran them with the stock H-pipe, O/R H-pipe and O/R X-pipe and they were still more than I wanted to deal with. I'll be going with a strait through muffler in the future (probably a Magnaflow), instead of a chambered design like a Mac or a Flowmaster. I'm lead to believe that resonance is more under control with them. And if I'm still not happy, I'll go right to a set of Dynomax Super Turbo's and be done with it. :D

o3redfire said:
I hear it called drone around here a lot. I used to have a 91 lx vert stang and I had the 2 chamber flowmasters and they droned like crazy, it is worse with a vert. I changed to the 3 chamber flows, much better. i went with a magnaflow catback on my 03 cobra and 04 vert, mean sound at wot, but no drone, excellent peformance gains, excellent product for the price. I just had some rolled edge tips welded on and it looks as good as it sounds ! How did your insurance claim go ? I would do a catted h midpipe when you do your catback if you redo it. I can tell you're ready for your next mod !

[quote='03GTinFLA]I'm also curious as to how your insurance claim went with your fenderbender?[/quote]

My insurance claim actually went well. I know most people call insurance companies "legalized theft." I've had a difference experience. First off, since both parties are insured with AAA, they waived the deductible for both parties (my deductible is $1000). They could have instantly gained a $1000 in revenue off of me and they chose to waive it before even determining who is liable for the accident. My claim was resolved in less than a day as well. I also took my car to Ford Auto Body (Galpin Motors Exclusive Body Shop), and they are AAA approved auto repair facility, so I didn't even have to get my car inspected by an adjuster and repairs can begin immediately. What's even better is that since Galpin Ford sells speciality vehicles (Saleen, Roush, and "Galpinized" cars), Ford Auto Body will repair/replace parts for my Saleen. :)

I noticed the "drone" when i installed the Mac catback esp. at 2k. When I installed the catted prochamber it became louder. Then installing the Mac lt and o/r prochamber the "drone" is from 1.8k to 2.1k and a little more higher pitched. At wot it really sounds off outside but not so much inside (does that make sense?). It reminds me of my old '69 MACH1 with dumps.

o3redfire said:
Maybe I missunderstood, are you looking for another muffer that drones a lot ?

Yes I am strangely enough happen to look for a muffler that makes a lot of noise inside the vehicle. Does anyone know if Borlas make interior resonance? I happen to like muscle car sounds. My friend has Flowmaster 40's Delta Flows, and I can't hear jack inside the vehicle. It feels better to hear my car rev when I burn another vehicle :)

Seraphitia102 said:
Aren't Magnaflows known to be the quietest muffler? Or are Magnapacks a different kind of Magnaflow muffler?
Correct, Magnapacks are made by Magnaflow, but have a different design than their regular mufflers, giving your car a more aggressive exhaust tone.

Heres are some comparison pics.
Magnapack: (the loud ones)
263-19673-450.jpg

regular Magnaflows: (the quiet ones)
Mustang.jpg

Seraphitia102 said:
Yes I am strangely enough happen to look for a muffler that makes a lot of noise inside the vehicle. Does anyone know if Borlas make interior resonance? I happen to like muscle car sounds. My friend has Flowmaster 40's Delta Flows, and I can't hear jack inside the vehicle. It feels better to hear my car rev when I burn another vehicle :)

if you like that muscle car roar, definately look into Spintechs. heres a quick vid of my car with spintech 333scs side mufflers
http://www.mustangevolution.com/gallery/misc.php?do=downloadfile&i=1446
i love it, and now a bunch of other guys i know with mustangs with your everyday flomaster/magnaflow combo's are getting spintechs. btw i hate drone, my 94 tbird 4.6 has alot of drone around 1800rpm with flo40's, and i hated it. though right now, with my spintechs, its pretty loud inside, not that annoying drony sound though. and itll only get louder with a o/r H pipe and no cats.

I like the drone inside my stang with my flows as well. Not sure what the difference would be if I had the originals, but mine are the super 40's. On occassion I'll even cruise around in a lower gear just to hear the exhaust inside the car. Maybe it will be as bad as everyone says it is when I get a midpipe, but right now its not really a big deal.