What Next? Throttle Body or Electric Water Pump 2011 5.0 (H-pipe, Axel Back CAi, E85)

Okay so I’m unsure to what mods I should add next. I live in CA so of course I’m looking for CARB certified parts. Unlike most, the CARB laws don’t bother me as much. I honestly find it fun picking out just the right part to stay legal while staying neck and neck with a 2010-12 GT500, 2016 GT350, and C7 grand sports with legal parts that will pass smog. ‍♂️
But I’m conflicted. What’s the best bang for my buck. 85mm Throttle Body with a retune, or switching to an Electric Water Pump? Obviously both. But I’m on a budget. Lol
Again Mods are:
3:73 gear (stock)
Airaid CAI (CARB Cert)
3” to 2.75” H-pipe (OEM CATS)
Axel Back muffler delete (California Legal)
E85 Tune (legal-ish) Lol

• Sponsors (?)

Hi,
I’m in Mass, CA is our emissions model ‘soon to be’. Not as strict as CA, now- but sucks just the same..
Was it mine, I’d pursue a TB as a supporting mod, after I’d improved upon some flow restrictions. If a tossup between the 2, I’d opt for the electric WP.
How’s she hooking?
-John

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
I’m in Mass, CA is our emissions model ‘soon to be’. Not as strict as CA, now- but sucks just the same..
Was it mine, I’d pursue a TB as a supporting mod, after I’d improved upon some flow restrictions. If a tossup between the 2, I’d opt for the electric WP.
How’s she hooking?
-John

I think I’m with you on that one. Also the TB seems a lot easier to replace. With my mods wouldn’t you go with an 85mm or a 90mm? 90 seems a bit overkill.
She hooks just enough to keep up, but could be better. I’m also on street tires. I’m confident radials will stick just fine.

I think I’m with you on that one. Also the TB seems a lot easier to replace. With my mods wouldn’t you go with an 85mm or a 90mm? 90 seems a bit overkill.
She hooks just enough to keep up, but could be better. I’m also on street tires. I’m confident radials will stick just fine.
Hi, T.Body is a straightforward, Hr. or 2 job. Tune isn’t required, if tunings free- certainly do it. Can pay a bit more & buy one with a TPS installed, so its a Bolt-on, Plug & go.
You’re already at 80mm, an Accufab 84.5mm, Ford racing 85mm or 90mm T.B. would work just fine, you’ll gain response & a few H.P..
Electric W.P.’s best app is at the track for engine off cooling between passes, I have run a few.
If your plan is to keep modding breathing capabilities over time, seems like you will, you’ll eventually be seeking a higher flowing T.Body, anyway.
Good luck!
John

Hi, T.Body is a straightforward, Hr. or 2 job. Tune isn’t required, if tunings free- certainly do it. Can pay a bit more & buy one with a TPS installed, so its a Bolt-on, Plug & go.
You’re already at 80mm, an Accufab 84.5mm, Ford racing 85mm or 90mm T.B. would work just fine, you’ll gain response & a few H.P..
Electric W.P.’s best app is at the track for engine off cooling between passes, I have run a few.
If your plan is to keep modding breathing capabilities over time, seems like you will, you’ll eventually be seeking a higher flowing T.Body, anyway.
Good luck!
John

Awesome thank you John I will go ahead and go that route. Also considering I do have free re-tunes so just from the TB and retune I would expect a few gains. And you’re absolutely right I’m definitely not done modding. Lol.

Good luck!
John

I ended up getting the throttle body. And man it made a huge difference. I of course I haven’t had it dynoed yet, but after a run with a Porsche 911 turbo (08-12 model) she’s definitely got the maximum HP/Torque advertised by BBK & AM. I would have gotten smoked by a 911 turbo a month ago. 90 mm did the mustang justice also came with a throttle body spacer as well. If she can go toe to toe dead even with a 911 turbo she’s definitely in the 120s 1/4 mile trap speed.
Thanks for the advice brotha!

:cheers: Great to hear that worked out for you! Doing it under the radar in CALi. running the E85 makes it even sweeter, GREAT JOB!!!
Brute strength of your 5.0 Coyote powered E85 drinking Pony trampling over a 911 Turbo & sending it home, tail between its legs is the icing on the Cake!! That’s Patriotic!!
Best!
- John

:cheers: Great to hear that worked out for you! Doing it under the radar in CALi. running the E85 makes it even sweeter, GREAT JOB!!!
Brute strength of your 5.0 Coyote powered E85 drinking Pony trampling over a 911 Turbo & sending it home, tail between its legs is the icing on the Cake!! That’s Patriotic!!
Best!
- John

Thanks bro! Right! it’s as “Merican” as it gets! Lmao.