What Oil To Use In 88 Notch Vortec Supercharged

Garyj92

Nov 28, 2017
Hey just picked up this 88 notch vortec supercharged 9psi. Curious what type of oil and oil weight to put in, I'm in Canada cars fully done out engine has 3k since build.

• Sponsors (?)

If it is anything besides a v3 it is oil fed and not self contained .

Whatever your engine calls for should be fine . If it's a v3 and self contained Vortech sells the oil to service the unit .

The tag on top will tell you it will be stamped on the blower

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you but how about for the car it self what oil? Synthetic or non
If it is anything besides a v3 it is oil fed and not self contained .

Whatever your engine calls for should be fine . If it's a v3 and self contained Vortech sells the oil to service the unit .

The tag on top will tell you it will be stamped on the blower

I also use Rotella in my foxes for 20 years- it has a higher zinc content
In canada I would not go any thicker than a 10w-30
use a good filter like FLA1, WIX, or Purolator. Avoid anything with FRAM,. Dont waste your money on K&N
Do not add any snake oils into your crankcase- modern oils all have the detergents and agents in them to keep your motor clean if you change the oil regular
Change the oil every 5000 miles and you are good

10w 30 is what everyone seems to be saying. With a blower this is fine right? What do you guys reccomend fully synthetic?

Your engine miles are still kind of low for full synthetic in my opinion but that is debatable.

The previous owner ran royal purple full synthetic 20 50??? Anyone run this on a vortech blower

I would run it in a self contained blower. You look on Vortec's website and see if they a recommend.

20/50 is too thick for the motor in your neck of the woods. Cold starts are where you get the most wear and a 20 cold weight motor oil will not flow well on startup.

The previous owner ran royal purple full synthetic 20 50??? Anyone run this on a vortech blower
No reason to run 20w50 unless this was some deal where the engine builder built it loose enough clearenced wise to run that thick of oil . I'd put 10w30 in and call it a day .