• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

What rear axle bearing size do I have?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DK832
  • Start date Start date Nov 15, 2006

DK832

New Member
Apr 11, 2006
291
0
0
Copenhagen, DK
Nov 15, 2006
#1
  • Nov 15, 2006
  • #1
I'm not sure if I can determine my 9" rear ends bearing size without pulling an axle out? I was told that the bolts for the bearing retainer plate (is that the right English term?) are different? Any help plz?
 
D

D.Hearne

New Member
Sep 29, 2000
11,730
6
0
south louisiana
Nov 15, 2006
#2
  • Nov 15, 2006
  • #2
What car did the 9" come from? Or is it original to your car?
 

ultrastang

Founding Member
Feb 26, 2002
1,092
2
37
Arkansas
Nov 15, 2006
#3
  • Nov 15, 2006
  • #3
DK832 said:
I'm not sure if I can determine my 9" rear ends bearing size without pulling an axle out? I was told that the bolts for the bearing retainer plate (is that the right English term?) are different? Any help plz?
Click to expand...

An easy wat to tell would be to remove the drum from the brake assembly. You will be able then to see the (4) retaing nuts that holds the backing plate to the housing's end flange.

A small bearing rear end will require a 9/16" socket to break the (4) nuts loose. (3/8" diameter flange bolts).

A large bearing rear end will require a 3/4" socket to break the (4) nuts loose. (1/2" diameter flange bolts).
 

chepsk8

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2001
2,203
3
49
Easton, PA
Nov 15, 2006
#4
  • Nov 15, 2006
  • #4
To my knowlege, it depends on the axle size. The 28 spline axles were smaller in Diameter, and the 31 were thicker.

I had two pumpkins for the SCJ, the original 3.91 N 31 spline, and a 3.25 28 spline posi. Every time I changed, I had to swap axles & seals as well!
 
D

D.Hearne

New Member
Sep 29, 2000
11,730
6
0
south louisiana
Nov 15, 2006
#5
  • Nov 15, 2006
  • #5
You're both half right. There are large bearing retainers that use the smaller bolts, and both small and large bearing 28 spline axles.
 

Edbert

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
3,548
32
109
Austin TX
Nov 15, 2006
#6
  • Nov 15, 2006
  • #6
Axles would only affect the inner dimension of a bearing not the outer. Ford only made the two, large and small. Large came only on trucks (E-series/F-series/Bronco) and full-size (Galaxie not Fairlane) vehicles. ALL mustangs had small bearing 9s, of course your rear could have been swapped over the last ~40 years, so there's no subsitute for measuring.

 

ultrastang

Founding Member
Feb 26, 2002
1,092
2
37
Arkansas
Nov 15, 2006
#7
  • Nov 15, 2006
  • #7
Edbert said:
Axles would only affect the inner dimension of a bearing not the outer. Ford only made the two, large and small. Large came only on trucks (E-series/F-series/Bronco) and full-size (Galaxie not Fairlane) vehicles. ALL mustangs had small bearing 9s, of course your rear could have been swapped over the last ~40 years, so there's no subsitute for measuring.

Click to expand...

I recognize that photo. It's from my website. --(Large axle bearing 9-inch housing on left from a '60 T-Bird . Small bearing 9-inch housing on right from a '59 Fairlane).

All 8-inch rears have small axle bearings with 3/8" diameter retaining bolts.

Small bearing 9-inch rears also have 3/8" diameter flange bolts.

Large bearing 9-inch rear ends have 1/2" diameter end flange bolts. --With two possible exceptions --the later "Torino-style" large bearing rear ends have 3/8" diameter flange bolts, and SOME Versailles have 3/8" flange bolts even though the bearing size is large.

www.ultrastang.com
 

Edbert

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
3,548
32
109
Austin TX
Nov 15, 2006
#8
  • Nov 15, 2006
  • #8
ultrastang said:
I recognize that photo. It's from my website. --(Large axle bearing 9-inch housing on left from a '60 T-Bird . Small bearing 9-inch housing on right from a '59 Fairlane).
Click to expand...
Hope you don't mind! I'm sure I am one of a few thousand who have that bookmarked. Here's the full link http://www.ultrastang.com/Rearinfo.asp?Page_ID=1

The caption says the one on the left is from a '57 station wagon.
 

ultrastang

Founding Member
Feb 26, 2002
1,092
2
37
Arkansas
Nov 15, 2006
#9
  • Nov 15, 2006
  • #9
Edbert said:
Hope you don't mind! I'm sure I am one of a few thousand who have that bookmarked. Here's the full link http://www.ultrastang.com/Rearinfo.asp?Page_ID=1

The caption says the one on the left is from a '57 station wagon.
Click to expand...

No, I don't mind you posting the picture.

...Hmmm, I've had a number of late 50's Ford rear end housings over the years. I was thinking that was the '60 T-bird hosuing I have, but it could have been one of the 9-inch station wagon large bearing housings I had at one time or another.

In back ground, some of the "goodies" in my shop: '60 T-Bird large bearing 9-inch housing, what's left of a '59 Fairlane 9-inch small bearing rear end housing, in floor --'79 Versailles 9-inch disc brake rear end, [near press]; 4-pinion Traction-Lok differential, [near drill press] Ford 9-inch N-case 3rd member with 4-pinion Traction-Lok diff and 3.50:1 gears.

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/523/68mustang006of2.jpg


www.ultrastang.com
 

DK832

New Member
Apr 11, 2006
291
0
0
Copenhagen, DK
Nov 16, 2006
#10
  • Nov 16, 2006
  • #10
Thanks everybody. Sounds like the safest way is to take the rear apart and measure to be sure, then order the correct Cobra brake brackets from Steve. I have no idea where the 9" came from, it was not born with it. I was just very ready to order, as the calipers and rotors arrived yesterday!

I'll be removing the rearend alltogether as soon as I have a free weekend, as I'm installing new 5-leafs, Detroit TrueTrac, Comp Engineering Slider bars, HD shackles wit poly bushings and Cobra brakes.
 
N

Nikosia01

New Member
Jul 29, 2019
3
0
1
Romania bucuresti
Jul 29, 2019
#11
  • Jul 29, 2019
  • #11
Hello everyone. please help me. I have 1966 mustang 6 cylinder end I want to put discs back but everywhere I'm wondering if I have small or large bearing. I have 7 1/4 rear axles and I do not know what it is. small or large? does anyone know? thank you.
 

Edbert

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
3,548
32
109
Austin TX
Jul 29, 2019
#12
  • Jul 29, 2019
  • #12
Nikosia,

I do not think large bearings came on the 7.5 or the 8.0, only the 9.0 had them.
 
N

Nikosia01

New Member
Jul 29, 2019
3
0
1
Romania bucuresti
Jul 29, 2019
#13
  • Jul 29, 2019
  • #13
DK832 said:
I'm not sure if I can determine my 9" rear ends bearing size without pulling an axle out? I was told that the bolts for the bearing retainer plate (is that the right English term?) are different? Any help plz?
Click to expand...
my car definitely has the original rear axle 7 1/4 that's what I saw in VIN number. I read that there were not many. when I removed the rear axle I saw that it has 24 splines.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

J
2004 Mustang 3.8L V6 vibrations above 65 MPH and differential leaks
  • joeybuddy96
  • Mar 16, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
837
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Aug 29, 2026
joeybuddy96
J
G
Fox Tire Size for 16" Pony Wheels on 1984 LX Convertible
  • gw7
  • Jun 24, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
180
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 25, 2026
Qtrhrse23
P
2002 T5 transmission vibration issue
  • puffoo
  • Feb 22, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
238
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Feb 22, 2026
puffoo
P
F
Ford 460 swap
  • Ford460
  • Sep 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
228
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Ford460
F
S
Speedometer Calibration
  • Sonny Bibb
  • Sep 11, 2026
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
Replies
4
Views
151
Digital Self-tuning Forum Sep 13, 2026
Sonny Bibb
S
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?