Fox What Rear End Is This?

brow0991

Jun 1, 2017
I'm looking to upgrade my 7.5" rear end and change to disc brakes but I want to stay with 4 lugs. I found a craigslist ad for a "1993 Cobra rear end including breaks" The guy swears it's out of a 93 cobra and it does have 10 1/4" 4 lug disc brakes which I think is correct; but he says it has 3.55 gears and the pic of the axle tag says it came with 2.73 gears. I though the cobras came with 3.08 gears. I did some research and the number on the tag leads (S215C) me to believe it is out of a 00-01 mustang but how does it have 4 lug axles then? On the other hand its date code is 3E12; what is he really selling and will it still work for what I'm trying to do, if so what should I pay for it. BTW I need to drive 6 hours round trip to pick it up.
01111_7hdAxgXbGN_1200x900.jpg
5811.jpeg
5814.jpeg

• Sponsors (?)

I'm looking to upgrade my 7.5" rear end and change to disc brakes but I want to stay with 4 lugs. I found a craigslist ad for a "1993 Cobra rear end including breaks" The guy swears it's out of a 93 cobra and it does have 10 1/4" 4 lug disc brakes which I think is correct; but he says it has 3.55 gears and the pic of the axle tag says it came with 2.73 gears. I though the cobras came with 3.08 gears. I did some research and the number on the tag leads (S215C) me to believe it is out of a 00-01 mustang but how does it have 4 lug axles then? On the other hand its date code is 3E12; what is he really selling and will it still work for what I'm trying to do, if so what should I pay for it. BTW I need to drive 6 hours round trip to pick it up.
01111_7hdAxgXbGN_1200x900.jpg
5811.jpeg
5814.jpeg
Measure.

Measure the rear end from wheel mounting surface, to wheel mounting surface. Then measure the disc brake rear.

Then you'll know if it fits.

Like you said, there is conflicting info from the tag, and any mustang after 93 isn't gonna have 4 lug axles.
Best bet is to just have dude measure the rear for you, and you'll know if it will work.

And you should expect to pay at least 350.00 for it.

The brake line to chassis union on the pass side of the axle suggests an SN95 rear axle. That particular sertup was on a 94-95 Mustang as they went to body routed lines in 1996.

Axle codes says 2.73 limited slip 8.8 with a date code of May 28 of either 1993 or 2003. It is possible SN95 production was gearing up around early/mid 1993.

You'll have to measure the axle to see if it's a 94-98 axle or 99-04. The 99+ were wider.

Looks like a cobra rear to me.... Only seen 1 in person but it looked just like that one.

Someone would've gone through hell sourcing longer 4 lug axles and cobra brake rotors....

Don't know about the tag...anything could've happened in the last 24 years.

Guys, the thing has 4 lug axles, show me a sn 95 rear w/ 4 lug axles and rotors...

Axles and brakes can be swapped. For all we know a real 1993 Cobra owner could have blown his original rear and needed an replacement and just swapped his brakes to an SN95 rear he found with 3.73s. Could also have just swapped the tag? Who knows.

Honestly, just buy the part and not the story. It's 4-lug, 3.55 equipped 8.8 with disk brakes. Measure the width and if it works...buy it

Last edited:
I bought the rear end, I got it for $400. I think it is a 93 mustang rear end with upgraded ring and pinion (3.55), and Turbo Coupe Brakes with an adaptor bracket to use the stock axles. I thought I read somewhere that you could tell the difference from a mustang axle and a turbo coupe by the length of the quad shock, supposedly the turbo coupe's is supposed to be shorter. Anybody know this for sure? And if so do you know the lengths of the two?

Turbo couple anti moan brackets were tack welded to the housing.

The 4-lug disk setup was offered as a kit by many vendors as well. SSBC was one of the bigger vendors.

Could also be authentic 93 Cobra stuff