What should I do about tires

What should I do about tires? Currently I have Eagle F1 GS-D3 245/40R18 in the rear and I get horrible traction on the street. I plan to be heading to the track a couple times this spring and summer, so my question is should I get 18” drag radials and mount them on the rims I have, or should I get two used 17x8 rims and mount 275/40/R17 drag radials and make them for track use only. The way I see it, if I get the separate rims, my traction on the street still sucks, but if I run drag radials as my street tire then I’m gonna wear them out real quick.

Opinions?

Dave

• Sponsors (?)

Well, it's not the F1's that are limiting traction for you. Those tires get really good traction for street tires. The problem with your's is the size. Not only are they narrow ... but they don't have much sidewall either, which is the largest factor of it all.

I think you should get the extra set of 17's & mount some DR's on them. That way you don't wear them out so quick .... and they're there when you need them.

I plan on getting some 265/40R18 tires when the time comes. Here they are...
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+T/A+Drag+Radial

I want a good all around tire as i dont go to the track THAT much so i still want traction on the street. Or atleast have the best chance of having traction :lol:

Your side wall height right now is 3.85" and these tires have a 4.17" height.So its a little better. How wide is your wheel? Mine is 18x9 hence why im leaning towards a 265 and not a bigger size. I think the 265 will have just as good of contact patch on a 9" wheel as say a 295....and it costs less :banana:

If your getting track only tires, don't get 275/40/17 drag radials!

For track only, get yourself a set of 10.5" ET streets mounted on stock 16x7 waffles OR a set of BFG or Mickey drag radials in 255/50/16, again mounted on 16x7s. The ET Streets will hook like crazy and the fatter sidewall of the drag radials will also allow them to hook harder then 275/40s.

If you do decide to go with an all the time tire, the Nitto 555R gets about 10K miles of wear on average, is decent in the snow, handles well, and hooks much better than a regular street tire.

95strokerPSU said:
or should I get two used 17x8 rims and mount 275/40/R17 drag radials and make them for track use only.

Opinions?

Dave

If you are gonna commit to a drag setup ... don't leave et/mph on the table with a heavy wheel/tire package :nono:

Go with something light weight ... like 15 inch pro stars :nice:

Taller side walls of the 15 inch tire will help as well :)

DR's or Slicks is up to you :shrug:

:eek: Disclaimer :eek:

Just know you stand a much greater chance of breakage with any choice that grips better than the DR's.

For that reason I won't causally recommend really sticky tires.

In your case ... you already got beefy stuff ... but still ............

You be a stick kinda guy ... so the drivetrain shock from slicks is very real.

Grady

I think I'm just gonna get a pair of Nitto 285 35 R18 DR and mount them on my street rims. This should be good for traction on the street and maybe 7-8k miles. Getting a pair of 17's and putting DRs on them doesn't make sense, and because I've got 13" brakes in the rear I can't go any smaller.

But last question, will a 285 tire fit on 8.5" wide rim?

95strokerPSU said:
I think I'm just gonna get a pair of Nitto 285 35 R18 DR and mount them on my street rims. This should be good for traction on the street and maybe 7-8k miles. Getting a pair of 17's and putting DRs on them doesn't make sense, and because I've got 13" brakes in the rear I can't go any smaller.

But last question, will a 285 tire fit on 8.5" wide rim?

It probably will. Nittos run narrow.

Swarzkopf said:
If your getting track only tires, don't get 275/40/17 drag radials!

For track only, get yourself a set of 10.5" ET streets mounted on stock 16x7 waffles OR a set of BFG or Mickey drag radials in 255/50/16, again mounted on 16x7s. The ET Streets will hook like crazy and the fatter sidewall of the drag radials will also allow them to hook harder then 275/40s.

If you do decide to go with an all the time tire, the Nitto 555R gets about 10K miles of wear on average, is decent in the snow, handles well, and hooks much better than a regular street tire.
very much agree!!

final5-0 said:
If you are gonna commit to a drag setup ... don't leave et/mph on the table with a heavy wheel/tire package :nono:

Go with something light weight ... like 15 inch pro stars :nice:

Taller side walls of the 15 inch tire will help as well :)

DR's or Slicks is up to you :shrug:

:eek: Disclaimer :eek:

Just know you stand a much greater chance of breakage with any choice that grips better than the DR's.

For that reason I won't causally recommend really sticky tires.

In your case ... you already got beefy stuff ... but still ............

You be a stick kinda guy ... so the drivetrain shock from slicks is very real.

Grady
thats what i would do