What Should I Expect To Pay For A New Edge In The Nw? 2 Examples

Joe Link

Feb 11, 2013
  • Sponsors (?)

Both cars look clean in the pics but an up close look always tells the whole story. Here in Tx. both those would be a little high in my opinion. I bought my 03 Mach for less than $4k more than this with only 57k miles on the clock... Gotta shop and not rush the search and you can find a good deal on the right car.

Thanks for the reply, I'll be calling on the first one tomorrow. I really want to keep this purchase around $5k. I've been looking for a V1 CTS-V for 6 months now, and once I find one I'll likely sell the GT.

Anything I should specifically look for?

If you have been around cars much you will be able to tell when you see and drive it. These cars don't hide "beat" very well!!! LOL But with that being said replacement, wear and tear parts are relatively cheap and easy to replace. 130k is nothing for a 4.6 if it has been maintained.

Use Nadaguides and KBB to give you a rough estimate of what to pay. Keep in mind Ford made hundreds of thousands of these cars! There will always be another one and don't let someone pressure you at all!

With your budget you prolly won't see many Mustangs under 100K in mileage. Here are the links to Nada and KBB for a Mustang GT with around 130k. Both of these were for Premium GTs meaning that they had leather and the mach stereo system.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2004/Ford/Mustang-V8-5-6-Spd-AT/Convertible-2D-GT/Values

http://www.kbb.com/ford/mustang/200...y-used&category=coupe&pricetype=private-party

What this tells you is that you need to be looking for a car that has little to no mods in decent shape. The value increases by about 2 grand for a car in excellent condition with lower mileage versus good condition with higher mileage.

The other pit fall to watch out for is price gouging due to mods. Just because it has lowering spring and a CAI doesn't mean it is worth $1000 more than blue book! Use your head and crunch how much the parts would have cost to buy out right. Aftermarket parts aren't necessarily worth what they cost. Obviously a Supercharger or a Turbo setup would be justification for a higher price, or a killer paint job for example, but if it isn't too special then why the special price?

If you can't find a Mustang GT for around 6-7 grand with less than 100K, don't buy it! I certainly wouldn't pay more than 5ish grand for a car with much more than 100k on the odometer.

Best of Luck!

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!

Is a well-maintained GT with 140k something I should be worried about reliability-wise (regardless of price)?

Would it be in my best interest to spend an extra $1k and get one with under 100k, or do the miles not matter so much, providing it's been well-maintained?

Basically, I want to know if these cars generally maintain their reliable reputation for as long as they're maintained, or if there is a certain mileage where things generally begin to fail at a faster pace.

I am not sure you can put a magic mileage number out there. My 60k mile Mach has required lots of regular maintenance items to get it where I want it. Things like struts/shocks, brakes, bushings, window motors, etc all wear out and have to be replaced. My 98 GT had 120k miles on it and ran fine, the price reflected the mileage but the fact that it had been taken care of afforded me a nice little toy that I sold for a profit after a couple years.

The obvious answer, lower mileage is better. If you can afford it, then get a car with lower miles, especially with your thought about selling the car as soon as your find a Caddy. A lower mileage car will be easier to sell.

Also the term "well maintained" is something to be scrutinized. Unless the owner has receipts from every dealership visit, every 3 thousand miles I wouldn't take the seller's word that it was well maintained. Also, well maintained has nothing to do with how the car was driven. You can religiously change the oil every 3k, but if the car is being redlined in every gear on a drag strip for most of the 3 thousand miles would you buy it for a daily driver?

IMO if you are gonna get something with a crap ton of miles, then why not get a project car? Spend maybe $1000-$2000 and put in some wrench time. I just saw a craigslist ad the other day for a 97 GT with a blown motor. The owner had already bought a crown vic mil for the replacement and was including it in the sale of the car. Apparently he just didn't have time to put into it. The guy only wanted $1000 for the car and all the parts. Granted this example will take quite a bit of wrenching to get the car to the mark where some of these 5-6 grand mustangs are, but you would have a fraction of the cost invested!

My last remarks on this thread and then I'll leave it be. If you are set on the CTSV, why are you buying a Mustang? Unless you find a fixer and put in the blood, sweat and tears into it to turn a profit, I don't see the benefit in buying something for the short term and having to sell it for a loss in a few months. I absolutely love my Mustang and I wouldn't trade it for anything, unless it was another Mustang (Fox Saleen or 69 Fastback or Termi). I guess my blood runs Ford Blue and I don't mean to discourage you from buying a Pony, but it sounds like you are set on the CTSV as your dream car. Don't buy a Mustang to use and abuse, buy it because you love it, wanna tuck it in at night, treat it right and love it until the end, not to sell it again. :)

The obvious answer, lower mileage is better. If you can afford it, then get a car with lower miles, especially with your thought about selling the car as soon as your find a Caddy. A lower mileage car will be easier to sell.

Also the term "well maintained" is something to be scrutinized. Unless the owner has receipts from every dealership visit, every 3 thousand miles I wouldn't take the seller's word that it was well maintained. Also, well maintained has nothing to do with how the car was driven. You can religiously change the oil every 3k, but if the car is being redlined in every gear on a drag strip for most of the 3 thousand miles would you buy it for a daily driver?

IMO if you are gonna get something with a crap ton of miles, then why not get a project car? Spend maybe $1000-$2000 and put in some wrench time. I just saw a craigslist ad the other day for a 97 GT with a blown motor. The owner had already bought a crown vic mil for the replacement and was including it in the sale of the car. Apparently he just didn't have time to put into it. The guy only wanted $1000 for the car and all the parts. Granted this example will take quite a bit of wrenching to get the car to the mark where some of these 5-6 grand mustangs are, but you would have a fraction of the cost invested!

My last remarks on this thread and then I'll leave it be. If you are set on the CTSV, why are you buying a Mustang? Unless you find a fixer and put in the blood, sweat and tears into it to turn a profit, I don't see the benefit in buying something for the short term and having to sell it for a loss in a few months. I absolutely love my Mustang and I wouldn't trade it for anything, unless it was another Mustang (Fox Saleen or 69 Fastback or Termi). I guess my blood runs Ford Blue and I don't mean to discourage you from buying a Pony, but it sounds like you are set on the CTSV as your dream car. Don't buy a Mustang to use and abuse, buy it because you love it, wanna tuck it in at night, treat it right and love it until the end, not to sell it again. :)

Thank you for the reply, lots of good information.

A project car is the complete opposite of what I'm looking for. As much as I love wrenching and building something unique, I have too many other things competing for my time right now.

As for the reason, I've been searching for a decent CTS-V for six months now. It's almost as if they blacklisted the Northwest, as in that time I've seen a total of 5 for sale. I'll probably end up buying one from elsewhere and having it shipped back, but that car hasn't come up yet. I need a daily driver, and I'd say as soon as possible, but I'm stubborn with what I want to get. I've always wanted a New Edge Mustang GT, it was just never a decent option (for a variety of reasons) before now. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if I backed off the CTSV search a bit, once I bought a GT, but who's to say for sure? I think checking the NE GT off my list is a fairly large factor as to why I'd buy one, rather than something more 'sensible' (financially or otherwise). With your review, how can I not be curious to see what ownership is like? :)

The prices vary by state. Here where I am in, Jacksonville, Florida condition seems to be an issue and it is hard to find one in decent shape for a honest price. When I decided to get a New Edge (99-04) I looked on Auto Trader and CL and what looked like a good car in the photos and description was a total POS. Typical GT in good running condition and in good shape with reasonable miles 4500 to 5k. Def invest in a car fax account so when you do get interested in one you will know what's really going on with the car.

I looked for three months and I started getting discouraged because everything I looked at was a total heap in person but I finally found one just outside of Daytona Florida. My standards were a little different thought I wanted a 100/ all stock Mustang or as close as I could get. I ended up with 2000GT 5spd vert 100% stock with 95k (if I remember right) , even still had the factory cat back and Mach 460 head unit and the older lady that owned it was the second owner at 3k miles. Besides being stock she also provided me with a folder with oil change recipes and anything else that was repaired on the car which is something I always welcome. Usually people that keep detailed records for the life of the car treat it well. I probably paid a little more than I should at 6500. It's sad that all to often these cars are treated like crap and not well maintained and people try to sell them for way more than it should be sold for. Jax is bad about that. Those two cars you posted links too looked good in the pictures and would probably go for more her.