what size rear,gears and spline in a 86?posi or mini spool?

• Sponsors (?)

Look at the tag on the back cover. It is usally under one of the bolts, it should have all the info you need. Differant cars had differant gear ratios, so who know what it came with, or for that matter what anyone as done in the last 24 years. As far as a mini spool, NO Way! Get yourself a nice posi unit. Eather a track lok and rebuild the clutches or find a 31 spline truck diff and rebuild that w/ some new axles. Stock spline is 28 btw

A mini spool is for circle track cars. A good posi is all you need. There is a big differance between a Spool and a mini spool. A spool is one solid piece, whereas a mini spool just replaces the spider gears in your current differential.

Spool or no spool, your driving determines your tire wear. The mini spool is no stronger than the track lok because it's in the same differential. x2 on stock axles being junk!

All of the cars we have do have spools and are street driven everywhere, I mean we don't get 30,000 miles out of tires, but then again we have drag radials on all the time and go through 2 or 3 sets a year.

I thought about a spool as I pretty much only drive straight and will be running radials and don't give a damn about mileage. But we'll see...

OP- I recommend a new tlock, no need for a spool

do you need to use c-clips on a mini spool?

yes a mini spool still retains the stock c clips, but will only fit inside an open differential. in other words, you cant put a mini spool in place of your track lok. you could always be ghetto and weld the gears, but I would definatly not recommend that!

not nessicerally, you could have a worn out track lok that needs to be rebuilt. It's as simple as pulling the diff cover and looking at the diff. If it has a big s spring in the center around the pin and clutch packs on each side you have a track lok, if it has no spring or clutches - open rear.