What spark plug wires are you running? Spark plugs?

ike34

Jan 16, 2004
Waterloo, IA
One of my spark plug wires got melted on my header the other day so its time for some new wires, what brands are you guys running? whats good whats bad?

I dont need any $100 taylor wires or anything like that just some good ones for around $50.

I have ford racing on my car now.

I think Im also going to replace the cap and rotor and plugs too while Im at it.

I thinking of going with NGK V-Power plugs (UR45)? Anybody else run them?

• Sponsors (?)

If burning the wires on the header is an issue I would recommend the MSD multi angle plug wires. I run them and you can bend the boots at different angles to keep them away from your header primaries depending on your setup. You can get them for 50-60 bones, they are low resistance and look great. As for plugs, NGK's are a good plug. Most people on here will tell you to run the Autolite 23's I believe, "don't quote me on that" could be 24's. It's a great plug for our cars. You might want to check out the new E3 spark plugs. I've heard a ton of great things about them but have not personally used them yet. Check em out at e3sparkplugs.com

MSD wires that cost me way too much and autolite plugs now. I've had both NGK V-powers and their Iridium ones back when I had E7s and to be honest, couldnt tell any difference. That's not to say there isn't one, though lol.
Oh and I know a couple people that run the FRPP wires available through summit and they love 'em. Fairly cheap, too.

i burnt one of my old FMS wires, so i got taylor thundervolt 8.2 wires for like $65 and bought some fiberglass boot protectors off ebay for like $30. haven't had a single problem since. oh and i'm running motorcraft sp-450 plugs.

I run AFR165's, had both autlites and NGK;s for aluminum set up-I like NGK, really felt a difference. mind you, I have stock distributor and TFI, MSD box and MSD cap and rotor as well with a For d Racing high energy coil. I would def keep this set up without any chnages, espcially the NGK's.

Hoep this helps, Ant.

Autolite was purchased by Ford in 1961

Ford sold Autolite in 1973 to Bendix

They have the rights to make the spart plugs. Ford makes them under the Motorcraft name, Honeywell makes them under Autolite.

They are made in two different plants, made with different specs.

Autolite even is under contract to make plugs for Ford engines as O.E. (3V 2004+ Truck engine)

Ford's specs are tighter....meaning Motorcraft > Autolite.

Autolite and Ford sort of have a US-England sort of relationship.

i am currently using autolite 3924s with FMS wires.

does anyone know if motorcraft makes the long thread gasket type plug like TFS and most aftermarket heads use???

i used to use motorcrafts when i had stock heads, the short thread, tapered seat style. didnt know if motorcraft had any more i could use with my TFS heads?

I agree with everyone so far, but to add, avoid those expensive spark plugs with the ridiculous multi-point electrodes... Its not much more than a marketing scam, and you'll pay an arm and a leg with no gain in performance.

By the way, most any aftermarket wire will work well, so long as you have good wire looms holding them away from the headers. I have FRPP wires, I keep them off the headers with some regular plastic looms, and I have yet to have any problems after about 4 years.

Replace your cap and rotor every year or so.