what the hell is this??

1991notchbackLX

Dec 25, 2007
New York
hey guys and gal, i had my center console apart to install the new shift boots i got from redlinegoods and i decided i'd finally ask some mustang people what this could be... there's a switch mounted behind my armrest in the console, the previous owner must not have been too careful, as you can tell... but this is the only part of my interior that's hacked up :mad:

i was hoping the switch was a cutoff for the fuel pump relay, but it isn't, the car starts just fine with it in either position... and it couldn't be a nitrous switch or anything like that as it's in a really awkward position... anyone have any idea what this could be?? hopefully the previous owner didn't have underbody neons or something rice on this thing :rlaugh: any ideas??

Picture001.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Attachments

• Picture001.jpg
    Picture001.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Picture009.jpg
    Picture009.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Picture005.jpg
    Picture005.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 75
  • Picture007.jpg
    Picture007.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 85
  • Sponsors (?)

yeahh, i guess youre right, it looks like the wires go down into the trans tunnel rather than just under the carpet, not really worth it to pull things apart to find out what it is/was since it's not even functional any more

what do i buy to clean up this mess? i searched on 50resto.com for a stock replacement piece but i don't even really know what it's called... was it an ashtray originally? thanks

Yes, its an ash tray. I would trace the wires. I couldnt stand having something like that on my car and not know what it was for :shrug: I would bet for a stealth NAWZ setup :D

That is where an ashtray would reside. I might have one laying around in the garage. Let me check tomorrow and I will pm you.

thanks a lot, that would be awesome.. i'm gonna be tinkering with the car a lot tomorrow, oil change, vacuum/wash, cleaning some interior pieces, etc. so i'll trace those wires out and see where they end up...

**OFF TOPIC** but i had an idea i wanted to get some input from you guys on... the fuel pump cutoff switch got me thinking... i know it's easy enough to just reach under the seat and yank out the relay when you leave.. but who the hell wants a fuel pump relay in their pocket all the time?

i was thnking of getting a fog light switch from a GT and putting it in the place of the dead switch on my coupe and making it a fuel pump relay cutoff... chances are no car thief would think to switch on the fog lights on a car that doesn't have fog lights :shrug: is it possible? could i reverse the wiring on the switch so the OFF position of the fog light switch is actually the OFF position for the relay? so it would blend in when the car is parked? just brainstorming... any ideas are appreciated:flag:

I put a GT headlight switch in my LX with the exact intention of doing that.

Then i decided to remote mount a paintball gun under my bumper and use it to shoot at anyone who cut me off :)

(no not really :) )

That is an ultra rare option only available on the Super Sleeper models that ford produced. It's worth an extra 250HP and the wheels :D

Seriously though, it would be nice to find out what it's there for, since it is hidden I would assume it is some sort of anti theft switch

i decided to remote mount a paintball gun under my bumper and use it to shoot at anyone who cut me off :)

i'd rather modify a taser with prongs in the seat bottom to zap the thief's "hindquarters" and "coin purse" when he sits in the seat

That is an ultra rare option only available on the Super Sleeper models that ford produced. It's worth an extra 250HP and the wheels :D

well, that explains why my car pulls so hard:rolleyes:

butttt on a serious note, can anyone help with some wiring ideas/diagrams or suggestions for the fog light kill switch i mentioned above?? thanks :SNSign:

i'd rather modify a taser with prongs in the seat bottom to zap the thief's "hindquarters" and "coin purse" when he sits in the seat

well, that explains why my car pulls so hard:rolleyes:

butttt on a serious note, can anyone help with some wiring ideas/diagrams or suggestions for the fog light kill switch i mentioned above?? thanks :SNSign:
Well the switch wirein is quite simple. It only has two posts that you can make spade terminals fit on (ive done it) and then all you do is put a fused hot (2 amp) to the switch and then the other terminal wouls be wired to the hot "signal" wire that goes to the relay.
Or (the way I would do it) is to take the hot signal to the relay and cut it. Send it to the switch and then the switch to the other side of the cut wire :nice: