• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

What to do about salvaged title?

  • Thread starter Thread starter streetstang67
  • Start date Start date Dec 4, 2004

streetstang67

Member
Mar 5, 2003
573
0
16
Lexington, SC
Dec 4, 2004
#1
  • Dec 4, 2004
  • #1
If I was to find a mustang in a junkyard without a title, or with a salvaged title, how could I get a title for it? Is this the same for car, trucks, and motorcycles?
 

67coupe351w

New Member
Jan 31, 2004
424
0
0
Portland, OR
Dec 4, 2004
#2
  • Dec 4, 2004
  • #2
streetstang67 said:
If I was to find a mustang in a junkyard without a title, or with a salvaged title, how could I get a title for it? Is this the same for car, trucks, and motorcycles?
Click to expand...

Around here most of the cars in the junkyard are there for a pretty good reason. But if you did happen to come accross a good one in a yard with a salvaged title It may or may not be a big deal for you. The savalaged title will hurt its resale value. If you plan on building it and loving it and keeping it then it really doesnt matter if the title is salvaged or not and perhaps if the restoration was done well enough it may not even matter that it has a savaged title when it comes to resale.

As far as a non-title car..I'm not sure but I think you can apply for a retitle with the DMV, I think some states dont have titles for older vehicles.
 

HistoricMustang

Active Member
Apr 11, 2003
2,359
0
46
Confederate States of America
Dec 4, 2004
#3
  • Dec 4, 2004
  • #3
It depends on the State. In Georgia you do not even need a title after a period of time - not sure what that is.

Also, here some shops can do the work on a car with a "salvage title" (been wrecked) and do the repair work in such a way that the "salvage title" is converted into a regular title.

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com
 

streetstang67

Member
Mar 5, 2003
573
0
16
Lexington, SC
Dec 4, 2004
#4
  • Dec 4, 2004
  • #4
what about motorcycles? I see ads for them everywhere with salvaged or no title..?

Mabye I'm misinterpretting the value of a title, does anybody really care if it has a title, no title, or salvaged title? Any legal issues involved?
 

67coupe351w

New Member
Jan 31, 2004
424
0
0
Portland, OR
Dec 4, 2004
#5
  • Dec 4, 2004
  • #5
I think legaly, if you dont have the title with your name on it you dont own the vehicle. Also I dont think anyone has the right to sell the vehicle unless their name is on the title.
 

HistoricMustang

Active Member
Apr 11, 2003
2,359
0
46
Confederate States of America
Dec 4, 2004
#6
  • Dec 4, 2004
  • #6
67, not in Georgia. My early model does not have a title. Believe it depends on the State.

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

I
2023 mustang gt fastback help
  • Izhar8709
  • Mar 22, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
2
Views
190
The Welcome Wagon Mar 23, 2026
LILCBRA
  • Sticky
Free Beta Access: Tool I Built to Hunt Fox Bodies Faster
  • MRaburn
  • Mar 6, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
16
Views
666
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Apr 7, 2026
FastDriver
R
WTB/Trade 1988 GT Convertible manual transmission- Gray with gray leather interior (Tennessee) Can travel anywhere
  • rhart540
  • Oct 18, 2025
  • Fox Body Mustangs For Sale (1979-93)
Replies
0
Views
392
Fox Body Mustangs For Sale (1979-93) Oct 18, 2025
rhart540
R
T
First Car, what should I do for power??
  • tunedV6
  • Apr 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
378
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- May 4, 2026
580HP*428Cj
5
T
Progress Thread 2002 Mustang 3.8L CV
  • TheIncompetentMechanic
  • May 26, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
126
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Jun 1, 2026
TheIncompetentMechanic
T
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?