What to do with a 64 1/2 "D" code 4 speed car?

64point5

Nov 21, 2007
Atlanta, Ga.
Yesterday I bought a 64 1/2 convertible body that is a factory 289 4V ("D" code) 4 speed car. It was advertised as a "F" code 260 car, and I was really looking for a 6 cyl car so I would not feel bad about changing the color, putting a 302 and a 5 speed in it, etc.

I was surprised when I found out it is a "D" code 4 speed car.

Now I have a dilemma...

I have checked out everything I can find out about the car and am looking for a site that I can get detailed production #s by color, transmission, etc.
Just want to know how rare the car is before I go changing things..

I wanted to build a wimbleton white, black interior, black top 65-66 vert with a nice 302 and a T5 five speed.

The car I bought is a June 1964, Dearborn car, Louisville, KY DSO, "D" code 289 4 speed car with a 3.00 non posi rear. The factory color is "X" code vintage burgundy with standard white interior with black trim, and I believe a white top. It is a P/S, power top car without air.

Best I can tell, there were around 3000 "D" code convertibles in 64.5 and I do not know how many of those were 4 speed cars.

Am I crazy to put a 302 and a 5 speed in it and paint it wimbleton white with black top and interior?

What would you guys do?

• Sponsors (?)

It all depends on your intentions... are you going to drive it, or show it? IF you are going to drive it... do what you want. It appears you looked long and hard for a good car, and you found it. If another shows up while you are deciding, buy it and turn yours... if not, build it the way you want and most of all... ENJOY the car. Good luck.

What you want to do to this car will not require you to cut or hack up the car to do. Build it the way you want it and just properly store the parts that you are removing. You will have the car you want and it can be put back to original easily, if that is ever desired.

Thanks for the comments. I am going to do just that......build it the way I want it. I plan on driving the wheels off this car (as I do all of mine) and if it was a "correct" car, it would probably sit in the garage.

Everyone I have talked to said that it won't kill the value of the car to build it a a very nice driver (if I ever decide to sell it).

Thanks for the input.....