• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

What To Do?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Drews93fox
  • Start date Start date Aug 18, 2014
D

Drews93fox

Member
Feb 22, 2010
140
0
17
Danville, Iowa
Aug 18, 2014
#1
  • Aug 18, 2014
  • #1
Hey Guys and Gals,

I have started my mustang project again after a couple of months off. I am going though the wiring harness and cutting out things that I don't need and hiding the rest under the dash, so no more wires in the engine bay. I was working under the steering wheel tonight and found that the previous owner hacked and installed a bunch of relays and wiring crap into the existing harness. He didn't correctly splice the wires and was cutting wires into and putting the relays in. My question is; should I see what happens with the harness and hopefully it doesn't catch on fire. Or do I purchase a new harness and install that. I plan on having the car for a long time, I'm just not sure what the smart thing to do is. If you could give me your opinions i would really appreciate it. Also, what is a company that I can look into for purchasing a new harness. Thanks for the help. It's a 93 Lx

Andrew
 

jrichker

StangNet's favorite TOOL
In Remembrance. Thank you for your contributions
Mar 10, 2000
27,512
2,813
234
Dublin GA
Aug 19, 2014
#2
  • Aug 19, 2014
  • #2
DO NOT cut up the factory wiring harness!!! You could very easily cut up something you will need later.
 

madspeed

Colonel Mustard
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
8,913
1,332
204
a van down by the river
Aug 19, 2014
#3
  • Aug 19, 2014
  • #3
I second the notion. You can hide 90% off the wires without cutting a yhing. My guess is the relays were installed as part of the headlight wiring fix. Is/was there evidence of any foglights ever installed, and is there any additional wires coming from those relays to the headlights?
 

mikestang63

SN Certified Technician
Aug 27, 2012
11,606
8,859
214
In the garage
Aug 19, 2014
#4
  • Aug 19, 2014
  • #4
Get a FSM or subscribe to Alldata. Listen to jrichker. Do not cut up the harness. You may want to try and get another harness if the one you have is all hacked up and start from scratch. Sometimes it's easier that way rather than chasing down elecrical gremlins.
 
D

Drews93fox

Member
Feb 22, 2010
140
0
17
Danville, Iowa
Aug 19, 2014
#5
  • Aug 19, 2014
  • #5
I was mainly just trying to get rid of all of his crap. I never found anything for fog lights. I did found out last night the car I have had a 331 in it but I still don't know why he would need extra relays. If I look into getting a new harness should I look towards an aftermarket on or take one out of a junkyard? I'm really just worried that after I finish taking his stuff out, i'm going to try to start my car and something that I take out that he had in will make it not run...
 

stykthyn

I want to measure mine. It doesn't look that tall.
15 Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
5,232
2,652
223
gainesville
Aug 19, 2014
#6
  • Aug 19, 2014
  • #6
And what evidence supports a 331? With the kind of quality work you have going on in there I wouldn't trust a thing the po says.
 

mikestang63

SN Certified Technician
Aug 27, 2012
11,606
8,859
214
In the garage
Aug 19, 2014
#7
  • Aug 19, 2014
  • #7
You can use a p&g gauge or this copy to measure the displacement with the heads on

http://www.precisionmeasure.com/test1.htm
 
D

Drews93fox

Member
Feb 22, 2010
140
0
17
Danville, Iowa
Aug 20, 2014
#8
  • Aug 20, 2014
  • #8
What I found out was the car used to have a 331 it now has a different 302. I have had the displacement checked the same tool used to tech sprint cars after races.
 

mikestang63

SN Certified Technician
Aug 27, 2012
11,606
8,859
214
In the garage
Aug 20, 2014
#9
  • Aug 20, 2014
  • #9
sounds like the po slapped some parts on it to sell
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

U
No fuel pump relay in harness
  • Uli661
  • May 18, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
206
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 1, 2026
Uli661
U
T
Electrical Brown Connector #31
  • ta66
  • Jul 26, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
162
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 30, 2026
ta66
T
J
Replace/Repair under dash harness on 67 coupe
  • jv53
  • Dec 12, 2025
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
1
Views
189
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Dec 12, 2025
Mcmahst
1
Electrical 1985 mustang gt Led conversion trouble
  • 1985fox
  • Jan 5, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
10
Views
737
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jan 15, 2026
1985fox
1
F
Electrical Foxbody wiring harness 2.3 to v8 swap
  • Foxbodyjake
  • Mar 23, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
26
Views
1K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 7, 2026
Kleinjj27
K
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?