What Type Of Intake Is This? March Performance?

A little curious to what type of air box is this? I just bought one and its supposed to be a "Cobra EFI Ford Racing Ram Air Box". (seller words, not mine)

Who made this and what happened to them? I'm going to try mine out for a while to see if I like it. I can definitely see on mine that the air source comes from within the fender well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200668146736?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648
div>

• Sponsors (?)

Ny nephew has it on his car. It has it's high and low points. The high poing is that the box is enclosed and does keep warm engine air out of the incoming airstream...and it does pull cooler air from below the bumpter, but.....

....it also sucks in water, leaves, dirt etc from the same area. It limits speed bump clearance (espeically if your car is lowered in any way) and the filter included with the kit doesn't promote a lot of surface area for drawing in air. OK for minor bolt ons, but I would want something bigger for any real breathing.

I say if you can get it ultra cheap, go ahead. Otherwise, spend your money elseware.

Ny nephew has it on his car. It has it's high and low points. The high poing is that the box is enclosed and does keep warm engine air out of the incoming airstream...and it does pull cooler air from below the bumpter, but.....

....it also sucks in water, leaves, dirt etc from the same area. It limits speed bump clearance (espeically if your car is lowered in any way) and the filter included with the kit doesn't promote a lot of surface area for drawing in air. OK for minor bolt ons, but I would want something bigger for any real breathing.

I say if you can get it ultra cheap, go ahead. Otherwise, spend your money elseware.

Well the air box that I purchased is just the closed off section for the air filter, I don't think I would install the ram air duct piping under my bumper because of the same reasons you noted. Sounds like a set up for disaster. I basically wanted something that was different than the usual CAI metal pipes but still pulled in cool air. I would REALLY like a plastic elbow and pipe to complete the kit like from K&N or Iceman. You would think they would have easily made an amazing intake that wouldn't soak up heat.

If you just bought the airbox alone, I'm sorry to say you probably wasted your money. For stock, or near stock needs, the factory air box, with K&N flat pannel and the air horn removed will perform just as well as the March airbox. The horsepower with the March kit is all made with the ramming effect....which you no longer have since you're missing that half of the kit?!? :shrug: