What weight oil do you use??

I've been using mobil 1 10w30 but my motor (306) came with a high volume oil pump and when I rebuilt it I put a factory pump in. I was thinking of going up in weight of oil to compensate the difference. What do you think? At operating temp I'm about 25psi cold 50psi( normal ).

• Sponsors (?)

Do a search, this was discussed recently...

I use 10W40 dino (cheap stuff) with almost 150k on the motor. No idea about my actual oil pressure as I am still using the stock idiot gage (light with a needle basically).

Stock motor, 105k miles
Mobile 1 10W30 with Ford filter

Who rebuilt your short-block? Did they recommend a specific weight? The weight of oil used should be more dependant on the tollerences existing in the new bottom end, and not necessarily which oil pump you have. I'd say stick with the 10W30. Running heavier oil weight is not all that beneficial for a street car IMO, unless of course its got alot of mileage.

1TallMF said:
Stock motor, 105k miles
Mobile 1 10W30 with Ford filter

Who rebuilt your short-block? Did they recommend a specific weight? The weight of oil used should be more dependant on the tollerences existing in the new bottom end, and not necessarily which oil pump you have. I'd say stick with the 10W30. Running heavier oil weight is not all that beneficial for a street car IMO, unless of course its got alot of mileage.

A guy I know had it built at http://www.f-p-s.com/ Than he rolled his car and I bought the motor rebuilt it and here I am. I'll give them a call..

I used 10w-30 with my rebuild 302. Regular Castrol GTX until I put some more miles on it, and then I'm going synthetic.

Grn92lx - You do not rev your car to 7,000rpm.

I've switched from some 50W Synthetic back down to 10-30W Synthetic. Now that Im not as broke as I was in college I made the switch from Penzoil to Mobil 1. I used the Fram Filter until I read about how much they sucked. Now its a Mobil 1 Extreme Filter as well. Those oil tycoons are sucking my racing funds dry with these high prices!

Can anyone let me know why my oil smells like gas?
It keeps happening....
-fawcett

I wouldn't run lucas. I haven't heard anything good about it. I run it in my Somona because I have 165k on it and it smokes lol. I have heard it foams up when inside the motor.

I have no facts to back it up but I have heard it sucks...

Grn92LX said:
5spd GT, yes I do. All the time? No. When I wanna get all on it, I sure do :)

6,700 is not 7,000rpm.

The way you posted it, makes it appear like it routinely sees 7000rpm on back-2-back track trips.

On the oil foaming, that can be big problems...some year Toyota Avalons had a problem with "foaming" oil, so the next step was engine replacement:rolleyes: Don't ask...hehe.

I read the write up by Bobistheoilguy just after I changed my oil. It sucks that I put a quart of Lucas synthetic oil in instead of just 5 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic. Im bummed out but there is no way that I am going to change the oil right away just because of the foaming -I will change the oil sooner than I want to though. That guy Bob seems like he is the man. I enjoy reading through his website-so informative.

So for you guys reading this post:
Dont use Fram Filters-They dont filter well, infact they are the worst on the market
Dont use Lucas Oil-It foams up with air bubbles and doesnt protect your engine like any other brand of oil would (and its wicked expensive!)

-fawcett